03 Chevy Tahoe vacuum brakes issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BrettS

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Vacuum brakes with the assist pump. The pump is over pressuring the brakes instead of my buy a new pump can I just bypass it with issues?????

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you mean hydro boost brakes? theres no vacuum if so.

looks like this?
1716596891395.png

if you have the big round brake booster with a vac line to booster behind the master thats just a normal brake set up.

you'll need to explain this over boosting issue better cause that dont make any real sense.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon.

Like @Scottydoggs said, no vacuum to a "hydro-boost" system. It uses power steering pressure for brake assist and IMO, because I have hydro-boost, it is better than vacuum boost. What makes you say "the pump is over pressuring the brakes"? Do you also notice a problem with the power steering?

OP
OP
B

BrettS

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
you mean hydro boost brakes? theres no vacuum if so.

looks like this?
View attachment 429157

if you have the big round brake booster with a vac line to booster behind the master thats just a normal brake set up.

you'll need to explain this over boosting issue better cause that dont make any real sense.
I have a vacuum brake booster but the vacuum hose runs to a vaccum assist pump attached to the brake booster where normally I’ve seen the vacuum line just connect it is pushing to much pressure and is very unstable with the pressure.

OP
OP
B

BrettS

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’ve taken the vacuum assist pump off and hooked the vacuum line straight to the brake booster. now the brakes do not lock up and are a more consistent pedal. I still have the wiring from the pump is this going to cause more issues down the road

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I’ve taken the vacuum assist pump off and hooked the vacuum line straight to the brake booster. now the brakes do not lock up and are a more consistent pedal. I still have the wiring from the pump is this going to cause more issues down the road

What is the year, make, and model of what you're working on?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Title says 03 Tahoe but I have never heard of what he is talking about. By the way, OP, vacuum is a suction not "pushing too much pressure". Take a pic and post it of what the heck you are talking about.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjbaker84

Latest posts