03 5.3 vortec Tahoe w/ 280,000 miles rough idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BIGDDADDI

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok [emoji108]ive changed complete the throttlebody with TPS, sparkplugs and wires, Fuel filter, oil sending unit , knock sensors, air filter, and Cleaned the Mass air flow sensor but at idle it still fluctuates between 600 and 400 rpms. Put it in gear and will pull and shift in to 2nd gear at like 20mph without touching the gas pedal. Engine code reafs its running lean in spots. Any suggestions on fixing this problem? Your help iys appreciated .

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
Car accelerates and shifts on its own

Lean code

Sounds like a pretty standard vacuum leak. Check brake booster, PCV lines, EGR if you have it, intake manifold gaskets, throttle body gasket, evap sensor seal

In the future, it's helpful to go through a diagnostic tree to solve your problem. You can save a lot of money on parts in addition to the time it takes to install everything

OP
OP
BIGDDADDI

BIGDDADDI

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
All that I changed needed it anyways. I will be changing MAF also. My hearing is bad so I can't hear the leak but my Pops says he can hear it. Now just to pinpoint it out.

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
Can you hear the relative RPM of the engine?

Grab some ether and spray it on the seams in the vacuum system. If there's a leak, your revs will spike

Throttle body gasket

brake booster

Brake booster hose

PCV valve on valve cover

PCV hose from intake to other valve cover

PCV connection at the intake manifold

Intake manifold gaskets. Don't forget to check the other side in the valley, under the manifold

All associated EGR gaskets, valves

Evap solenoid (on top of your intake towards the front)

OP
OP
BIGDDADDI

BIGDDADDI

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yes [emoji106] I can hear that . I will do this as soon [emoji776] as I get a chance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
melsayed

Latest posts