01 Shutting off no crank, no start.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

builds4christ

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Had similar symptoms present differently.
Symptoms have improved since I cleaned the throttle body, but the saga continues.
Will try changing flex fuel concentration composition sensor & O2 sensors next ...
It's frustrating man.

I know the increase in temperature also increases resistance in wiring. Maybe it IS a dang ground, but none of them look too bad or bad at all. My buddy tells me he thinks he changed the starter when he first had this problem, so maybe it's not that.

Intermittent electrical issues suck!

It could even be a bad relay no? Hmmm.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not having a no crank issue.
Since you are, my guess is some your old wiring may need updating, Big 3 style.

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shut her down and no crank again. IDK maybe its just a bad starter?

Thank you all for your comments and information provided by the way!!!
Sounds to me like s stuck magnetic switch in the starter. Try to bridge the starter relais. Then you know if something else, like security, a defective ignition lock or bad grounds are the issue. Or if the starter itself is the problem.

OP
OP
B

builds4christ

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Guys
Sounds to me like s stuck magnetic switch in the starter. Try to bridge the starter relais. Then you know if something else, like security, a defective ignition lock or bad grounds are the issue. Or if the starter itself is the problem.
It turned out to be the starter. I waited until the condition occurred and tried jumping the starter at the relay, no dice. Waited until it cooled, jumped at the relay and boom it cranked.

Thanks so much for your input everyone, it was very much appreciated! I was having a problem with it dying as well, but that turned out to be a bad older style alarm system with an immobilizer. I initially thought it was the same thing causing both problems and that was throwing me off, haha!

You guys are an awesome community, thanks again!

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those old aftermarket alarm systems ALWAYS come back to haunt someone. Been like that since the 80s! Someone will buy a vehicle and not even know that the system was installed and find out the hard way when the alarm module fails, especially if it has an immobilizer. And its usually not at a convenient time.

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those old aftermarket alarm systems ALWAYS come back to haunt someone. Been like that since the 80s! Someone will buy a vehicle and not even know that the system was installed and find out the hard way when the alarm module fails, especially if it has an immobilizer. And its usually not at a convenient time.
But the car manufacturers has learned from it.

Back in the days, you had to install aftermarket alarms to make good cars fail and be thrown away.

Today the industry builds the cars directly so that they can be taken to the scrapyard after the warranty period.

The German automotive industry is now a leader in this area... :thumbsup:

OP
OP
B

builds4christ

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welp, I replaced the starter but no dice. Is it possible it's the neutral safety switch? It's confusing because I can't start it in neutral either, but the PRND321 doesn't show what gear I'm in half the time, anyway. Maybe it doesn't know I'm in neutral or park?

And why does it seem depend on the temperature?

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well i am not sure but i csn imagine that the information, what gear you are in, for the ecm is the same source like your PRND123.

And your car should prevent start in gear other than P or N to prevent a moving car after start.

Electrical issues are often temperature related...

OP
OP
B

builds4christ

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well i am not sure but i csn imagine that the information, what gear you are in, for the ecm is the same source like your PRND123.

And your car should prevent start in gear other than P or N to prevent a moving car after start.

Electrical issues are often temperature related...
Yeah it gets it from the neutral safety switch. But what I'm confused about is how the relay and neutral safety switch are wired in to the starting circuit.

I'd like to see a schematic of that.

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you sure? I honestly don't know how this is at our cars, but I know from other cars, that the neutral safety switch is only additional safety, that the car is in park on neutral when you start the engine. But the information often comes from the shift lever sensor itself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Salty Crusty