‘97 Yukon work horse

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NorthernYukon97

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Joined the forum a year or so ago looking for info and posted in the introduction section. A couple of reply’s asked for pictures. Sounds good. I like my Yukon, happy to show a few. It is a work horse for me. So it has some bumps and bruises along the way.

I’ve done quite a bit to it over the years, last year did a minor refresh of a few things:
Whole new front end - with the exception of the steer gear, wheel bearings, shocks all around, all new brakes - complete with new lines, major tune up with MAF sensor, door pins, etc etc.

Along the way, lots of things done. From radiators, transmission overhaul, interior door handles, hvac controls, extra leafs in the rear, relay to run high and low beam same time, etc etc. Long list.

With the barn doors that open 180 you can load it with a fork lift. Seats fold flat and ply wood in the back. It hauls. It tows. It plows through two feet of snow. The SBC keeps going. -30 or +30. Soak it in oil every fall. It’s just a good truck. I thought about replacing recently, but I think I’ll keep it around. Nothing new out there will replace it for what I do. So, I ordered a new steering gear box for it, and carrying on. Just here today looking for info to sort out the rear defrost. Maybe next year or so, I’ll give it a paint job.

350E6C70-FD44-4B2A-BB5E-6F343FC852A4.jpegA2907242-9C33-49E0-92C6-AC899EED9BA5.jpeg 835B28EE-E658-4200-9E63-C28773EE4FA9.jpeg

C3C2CBC1-2E8C-4BB0-A7D3-BEF96351B067.jpeg AEB401E9-6067-4A90-84B0-F019A1592081.jpeg

Cheers,

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Joined the forum a year or so ago looking for info and posted in the introduction section. A couple of reply’s asked for pictures. Sounds good. I like my Yukon, happy to show a few. It is a work horse for me. So it has some bumps and bruises along the way.

I’ve done quite a bit to it over the years, last year did a minor refresh of a few things:
Whole new front end - with the exception of the steer gear, wheel bearings, shocks all around, all new brakes - complete with new lines, major tune up with MAF sensor, door pins, etc etc.

Along the way, lots of things done. From radiators, transmission overhaul, interior door handles, hvac controls, extra leafs in the rear, relay to run high and low beam same time, etc etc. Long list.

With the barn doors that open 180 you can load it with a fork lift. Seats fold flat and ply wood in the back. It hauls. It tows. It plows through two feet of snow. The SBC keeps going. -30 or +30. Soak it in oil every fall. It’s just a good truck. I thought about replacing recently, but I think I’ll keep it around. Nothing new out there will replace it for what I do. So, I ordered a new steering gear box for it, and carrying on. Just here today looking for info to sort out the rear defrost. Maybe next year or so, I’ll give it a paint job.

View attachment 264456View attachment 264457 View attachment 264459

View attachment 264446 View attachment 264447

Cheers,

Good girl there, barn doors FTW I miss them.

OP
OP
NorthernYukon97

NorthernYukon97

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Good girl there, barn doors FTW I miss them.

Very nice looking truck, particularly for a work horse.

Something about red OBS tahoes I really like.

Thank you guys, appreciate the compliments.

I do work it, but I do try to take care of it too.

Just sent in my steering gear to blue top. Hopefully that solves the steering issues. That’s it for the front end, everything else is new. (Edit: I tried a cheap one from rock auto, no luck there, but I did keep my original.)

Merry Christmas,

OP
OP
NorthernYukon97

NorthernYukon97

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey, just got my steering gear back from blue top today, It looks really nice.

I’ll update when I get it back on the road.

3B9DE525-3AC4-4A50-BDA9-E8A979DE658A.jpeg

dkknaebel

Keeping LKQ in business
Reaction score
Hey, just got my steering gear back from blue top today, It looks really nice.

I’ll update when I get it back on the road.

View attachment 267213
How long did they take with it? I did a RA box on my two door and I swear it grabs half the time. Even took out the rag joint for the new updated ujoint connector and put a steering stabilizer in and I swear it is still like steering through mud

OP
OP
NorthernYukon97

NorthernYukon97

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
How long did they take with it? I did a RA box on my two door and I swear it grabs half the time. Even took out the rag joint for the new updated ujoint connector and put a steering stabilizer in and I swear it is still like steering through mud

It took 3 weeks, I’m in Canada - cross border shipping etc, and that was over the Christmas holidays. fast in my opinion.

I tried a rock auto one as well, Lares. It’s terrible. I kept my original one, that’s the one I sent to blue top.

What is the new rag joint?

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I’d go with a Bluetop or Redhead before anything else. Bluetop had outstanding customer service (you’re pretty much dealing with the owner - we emailed back and forth on a Sunday with him answering questions that I had) and I had no issues with mine. I had a redhead on a Bronco a while back and had no problems with it, either.

Can’t say the same for a reman Delco that I bought that was bad out of the box. The paint was shiny, but that appeared to be the extent of the “remanufacturing” process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu