‘22 Tahoe LT - 5.3L - Normal Oil consumption?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mar48

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey! I have 2K miles on my brand new Tahoe LT (5.3L)… and already the oil life shows at 73%…. Is that normal?

firsttimetahoe

Reaction score
What’s the suggested mileage usage on these vehicles to get your oil changed?

I always thought synthetic oil was 7,500-10k miles

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What’s the suggested mileage usage on these vehicles to get your oil changed?

I always thought synthetic oil was 7,500-10k miles
This will start a religious argument....

According to the owner's manual, change the oil before the oil life gets to 0%
Some guys/gals won't trust the oil life and want to do it sooner -- go for it if you want, it is your $$, your vehicle, and your peace of mind.
The engineers at GM have a long history w/ the oil life system...and have it calibrated to work. You won't hurt anything but your wallet doing it more often.

I ran my 2013 Suburban to 15%, then changed w/ the GM recommended Dexos oil, got 111k trouble free miles out of it. Your mileage may vary.

firsttimetahoe

Reaction score
This will start a religious argument....

According to the owner's manual, change the oil before the oil life gets to 0%
Some guys/gals won't trust the oil life and want to do it sooner -- go for it if you want, it is your $$, your vehicle, and your peace of mind.
The engineers at GM have a long history w/ the oil life system...and have it calibrated to work. You won't hurt anything but your wallet doing it more often.

I ran my 2013 Suburban to 15%, then changed w/ the GM recommended Dexos oil, got 111k trouble free miles out of it. Your mileage may vary.
Does the oil life gauge/system thing in these vehicles let you input the type of oil you're using?

I still am waiting for my car...but I do know synthetic oil lasts longer than regular.

R32driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do 5k miles on any of my regular drivers regardless if they’re using synthetic or not. If it’s not consuming a lot (5.3 engines are known to consume oil between changes) I might go over that a bit but no way I’d go to 10k.

Cars I don’t drive that much I do annually and most see 2k or less miles in a year. Oil changes are cheap compared to engine repairs caused by dirty worn out oil

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the oil life gauge/system thing in these vehicles let you input the type of oil you're using?

I still am waiting for my car...but I do know synthetic oil lasts longer than regular.
No, it assumes you use the manufacturer's recommended oil grade, which for 2022 and beyond is Full Synthetic meeting Dexos 1 standard.

You can download your owner's manual form Chevy, GMC, or Cadillac at their web site and pre-read all you want, I highly recommend this.

Here is a screen snap of the relevant txt in the owners manual:
1649693772026.png

Pertzbro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Every 10K or 6 months. I do mine late spring and late fall. Basically when I switch out my Snow Tires for Summer and vice versa.

firsttimetahoe

Reaction score
No, it assumes you use the manufacturer's recommended oil grade, which for 2022 and beyond is Full Synthetic meeting Dexos 1 standard.

You can download your owner's manual form Chevy, GMC, or Cadillac at their web site and pre-read all you want, I highly recommend this.

Here is a screen snap of the relevant txt in the owners manual:
View attachment 367720

Nice, thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rcarew907