‘03 Rear Coil Springs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Knuckledown

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Soon to be replacing rear coil springs in 2003 Tahoe LT 4WD. Had planned on using Moog 81069 Z71 HD springs and maybe adding helper bags for heavy towing. Ran across Dayton Parts CargoMaxx HD and XHD Springs that supposedly have 35 & 70% greater carrying capacity respectively. Anyone have any experience w these? If I can reduce the added complication of helper bags, I like the simplicity. Would these require longer rear shocks or other modifications. First time building on a Tahoe need some assistance. See link below.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I cannot specifically answer your question; however, other members on this Forum that are much more knowledgeable than me will chime in.

I would think, however, that the much higher capacity springs would give you a harsh ride, when not loaded down with cargo or towing.

corvette744

2004 Z-71
Reaction score
Soon to be replacing rear coil springs in 2003 Tahoe LT 4WD. Had planned on using Moog 81069 Z71 HD springs and maybe adding helper bags for heavy towing. Ran across Dayton Parts CargoMaxx HD and XHD Springs that supposedly have 35 & 70% greater carrying capacity respectively. Anyone have any experience w these? If I can reduce the added complication of helper bags, I like the simplicity. Would these require longer rear shocks or other modifications. First time building on a Tahoe need some assistance. See link below.

Unless your just using the vehicle to tow 99 percent of the time i would not put that heavy of a spring in but thats just me i have fillings in my teeth.I would put bags in it so you have smooth ride and extra towing capacity when needed quickly.

VR4Play

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What did you end up doing? I too tow alot and was looking to upgrade my rear springs and ran across those cargomaxx. I currently have Moog springs with Timbren bump stops as the airlift kit offered for these is a joke. I use a weight distribution hitch and my suburban still squats more than I would like. The Timbren made a big difference in the ride quality but the stock spring rate is way to soft for a vehicle of this size.