Z71 or LTZ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shaw520

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Z71 doesn’t have a rear load level suspension.

There weren’t many differences until 09.
I see that as a good thing,.... just about every Autoride system I know of has either been replaced or deleted. Z71 got the slightly longer/heavier rear coil springs.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
What’s the difference between the 2007 LTZ and the 2008?

07-08 are pretty much identical.

09 was the first year for cooled seats and the 6 speed transmission... unless it's a Denali or Escalade, I guess they got the 6 speed earlier..... but they are not LTZs so I guess they don't count in this discussion. But they do have all the bells and whistles along with bigger engines.

bldn10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know the Z71 is the "off road" model but what suspension differences does it have? Does it have any features of the HD towing package even if it does not have the package? In shopping for a new(er) Tahoe I've run across lots of nice LTZs but they all seem to have 2nd row buckets, that I don't want, but they seem to have been optional on the Z71.

sickk23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know the Z71 is the "off road" model but what suspension differences does it have? Does it have any features of the HD towing package even if it does not have the package? In shopping for a new(er) Tahoe I've run across lots of nice LTZs but they all seem to have 2nd row buckets, that I don't want, but they seem to have been optional on the Z71.
Second row buckets vary so much on the Z71 because Z71s are LTs.

Z71 has beefier shocks and springs. I believe they’re identical to the Silverado w/ Z71 but I could be wrong.

2007-08 Z71 also had unique interior color choices. You can find black w/gray accents and there’s also a black w/orange accents. It was interesting for sure.

Another thing I haven’t seen mentioned is the interior trim is silver as is the exterior door handles. The door handles became body matching like an LT in 2009.

FWIW, I had an 09 Z71 and an 08 and 13 LTZ Tahoe. I wouldn’t hesitate to choose either. Except be ready for rear suspension maintenance on the LTZ. Most that I see running around that old have owners that just let the compressor run if it even works anymore.

gpracer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 13 LTZ rear shocks work fine, but I only have 75K on the vehicle. For me being an "ex" tech is no big deal if I need to fix it, but I see how others who have to take it to a shop could feel the pain of spending all that labor money.
My brother has a 12 LT and now wants all the stuff that the LTZ has.....:bawl:

Im sure if you have buckets you can swap with someone who has a bench.

sfc_jones

Reaction score
And no AFM to worry about.
From what I understand all LS motors have AFM except those with a manual tranny...as in a Camaro. I also thought fleet models were exempt but according to my sources they too were equip with AFM. So basically anything with a automatic transmission had AFM (V8 motors)

sickk23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 13 LTZ rear shocks work fine, but I only have 75K on the vehicle. For me being an "ex" tech is no big deal if I need to fix it, but I see how others who have to take it to a shop could feel the pain of spending all that labor money.
My brother has a 12 LT and now wants all the stuff that the LTZ has.....:bawl:

Im sure if you have buckets you can swap with someone who has a bench.
A 13 is still pretty new. Give them 4 more years lol

tsuintx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So basically anything with a automatic transmission had AFM (V8 motors)

Can’t say anything about Camaros etc. and not even referring to them in this thread wince we are talking about Tahoes, Yukons and Escalades after all.

The post I was quoting was talking about 07-08 Denalis and Escalades which do not have AFM. Well..., they have the hardware in place, but the system is not activated in the PCM.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jmiller727