Yukon XL towing capacity: 3.73 vs 4.10

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CountryBoy19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At any truck stop scale just telling them you are doing a military move. I have weighed my truck several times for a military move since they reimburse by weight of goods moved. As a side note I hauled a trailer with cargo weighing in at 9K loaded. Truck did great, just was a bit underpowered going through Wyoming elevation, nothing like moving corner to corner of the country.
Most truck stops charge for their scales. Are you saying you got them to comp it by telling them it was a military move?

JoeM5952

Reaction score
Most truck stops charge for their scales. Are you saying you got them to comp it by telling them it was a military move?

No, but it is cheap to get a truck weighed. They usually ask what the weigh is for, if you don't want to say "just curious" it is an alternate route. No benefits other than they tend to be more used to it.

CountryBoy19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, but it is cheap to get a truck weighed. They usually ask what the weigh is for, if you don't want to say "just curious" it is an alternate route. No benefits other than they tend to be more used to it.
Ah, ok...

The truck-stop is definitely an option, I just didn't mention it because I assumed most were aware of that option. I was only offering alternatives that may not charge you for it. Also gotta keep in mind, not everyone is close to a truck-stop. I don't know where my closest truck-stop with a scale is, but I would not be surprised if it's 90+minutes from me (one-way)

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At any truck stop scale just telling them you are doing a military move. I have weighed my truck several times for a military move since they reimburse by weight of goods moved. As a side note I hauled a trailer with cargo weighing in at 9K loaded. Truck did great, just was a bit underpowered going through Wyoming elevation, nothing like moving corner to corner of the country.

I would just say that you don't know what your load weighs, and you wanted to find out your loaded weight to compare it to your factory recommended ratings for safety. If you try this, I would bet you would have a better chance of getting it comped if you fill up your tank there.

Yea, you can look up on https://catscale.com/ and see where they are, I have used them all over.
$11.50 a weigh, with $2.00 reweighs, that's not unreasonable. There are three near me (within a mile of each other) off I-10. I'm sure most are right off the major highways. This seems like something someone who was really motivated could use to find out how their vehicle does towing different weights. Start with a trailer and something like a golf cart. Test your hills, your brakes, to check your weight compared to ratings. Then do it again with a car, then a heavier pickup or more. The base level with gradual increase would better identify where your problems are, or maybe before and after a brake or engine upgrade.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Some moving and storage places have scales that are open to the public. Not sure what they would charge, though.

CountryBoy19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$11.50 a weigh, with $2.00 reweighs, that's not unreasonable.
Let me first caveat that I grew up very rural before truck stop scales were common. We never paid to weigh one, just went to local grain elevator. So the idea of paying anything to get a weight seems unreasonable to me... just my opinion. I realize not everyone has a local grain elevator to go to.

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let me first caveat that I grew up very rural before truck stop scales were common. We never paid to weigh one, just went to local grain elevator. So the idea of paying anything to get a weight seems unreasonable to me... just my opinion. I realize not everyone has a local grain elevator to go to.
It would cost me a lot more than $11.50 in fuel to go find one.. :Caffeine:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Purolator