‘10 Yukon XL 2500 advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrRed

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hopefully going to check out a 2010 Yukon XL 2500 next weekend but have a few questions. Coming from a 2010 Xterra.

Firstly, what is a fair price for an original owner, dealer maintained 2500 with 164k miles? Guy is asking around 15k.

Secondly, is corrosion a big issue on these cars? From the photos, the rear hitch area and wheels look relatively corroded. I asked for underside photos but didn’t get any. Located on the west coast but inland enough where salt is pretty regularly used.

Thirdly, is the 2500 overkill for around town duty? Will hopefully be using it for towing in the future but it will be used to haul the kids around and for camping/road trips this summer.

Thanks!

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
The corrosion is par for the course in a vehicle based on its age and price, which, for $15k w/ 150k and Orig owner, is good.

It’s an e85 truck so when you find it cheap you can fill up to 40 gal in the beast like a savings account to blow on the 8-10 mpg you”ll get in town.

Worse case scenario replace the deck lid with another. Surface rust is ok under the truck but investigate thoroughly like a blood hound if more is found. My Bro in Law uses his 08 2500 Burb as a daily here in SoCal. His company is leasing him a new Expedition (poor guy) so he’ll be selling it soon.

Interested in whatcha find. Post up some pics of that big dog.

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hopefully going to check out a 2010 Yukon XL 2500 next weekend but have a few questions. Coming from a 2010 Xterra.

Firstly, what is a fair price for an original owner, dealer maintained 2500 with 164k miles? Guy is asking around 15k. If it's well-optioned, that's a fair price - 4x4, leather, heated/memory seats, power tailgate, auto climate control, etc. If it's a fleet-spec LS with cloth seats, not so much. Easy to spot - black door handles = LS; body-colored door handles = LT ( could be 1LT, 2LT, 3LT - 3LT is best)

Secondly, is corrosion a big issue on these cars? From the photos, the rear hitch area and wheels look relatively corroded. I asked for underside photos but didn’t get any. Located on the west coast but inland enough where salt is pretty regularly used. Only way to know is put it up on a rack and look. My 2008 has very little rust despite a lifetime in IN and MI.

Thirdly, is the 2500 overkill for around town duty? Will hopefully be using it for towing in the future but it will be used to haul the kids around and for camping/road trips this summer. Yes, overkill. But if it's not lifted/leveled, it should ride like a half ton. And if you don't mind 12-13 MPG in city driving, go for it. It is 1000 lbs heavier than the half-ton Suburbans.

Thanks!

My responses in yellow. I've owned my 2500 for 10 years. Best/most versatile vehicle I've ever owned.

Last edited:

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Firstly, what is a fair price for an original owner, dealer maintained 2500 with 164k miles? Guy is asking around 15k.

Thanks!
Original owner and dealer maintained is a big plus in my book.

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I daily drive an 06 Suburban 2500 with the LQ4. Same thing about needing seats to drop off the kids to school (I have s big family). I absolutely love it. When I was shopping a few years ago it was pretty much a transmission choice and rear suspension choice in the GMT 800 series.

Does it ride like a 1500 with rear coil spring suspension? I doubt it, at least not unloaded. It rides more like a truck, but that's what it is! The 2500 SUVs are simply heavier and more robust and more tailored towards higher gvwr, payload and towing. The only drawback is fuel mileage (about 12 mpg for me), but given that it's a family hauler, that really doesn't even matter to me, as most of the time is fully loaded with passengers.

We also have a full sized '20 3500 Express passenger van family hauler with the L96/6L90e which is what the one you are looking has. That one is much lower mileage, but I like it as well.

Sorry I can't help with the corrosion question.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MrRed

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the incredibly fast responses!

I’m already getting around 15 mpg in the Xterra and we only drive around 500 miles per month (I cycle to work) so I’m not too worried about fuel economy.

I think it’s the SLT because it has leather etc. It’s not lifted and I believe it’s 4x4. Honestly, I’d prefer a more basic spec as I’m a strong believer in the less crap you have, the less there is to fix.

I’ve attached a few photos of the corrosion.

Still trying to sell the wife on something so big lol

Attachments

• IMG_0328.jpeg
    IMG_0328.jpeg
    339.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0327.jpeg
    IMG_0327.jpeg
    298 KB · Views: 3

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
If it’s the hitch area and the top of the lift gate inside see if you can swing by a body shop and ask how much to have them replace with a door of the same color from a wrecker when they find one. It likely won’t need a thing done to the donor. Also have them look at the frame to verify it’s integrity. Something going on by back tire?

If it had the leather seating surfaces, they’re indestructible as well as inexpensive to swap new covers. With it being a 2010 you also have the last year of the better designed, trouble free, front inner door panels. If there’s Navi you also got the HDD harddrive based unit that actually still functions well.

They all have to have something wrong with them. This looks like it’s not a walk away though. Does it have heated seats and 2nd row bench or captains chairs? The couch or 60/40 bench seat is a kids dream. Factory tow control equipped by foot brake?

If it has adjustable pedals let the Mrs drive it and enjoy the back up cam. These full size GM SUV are fiercely protective of the occupants because of all the airbags and their mass.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MrRed

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If it’s the hitch area and the top of the lift gate inside see if you can swing by a body shop and ask how much to have them replace with a door of the same color from a wrecker when they find one. It likely won’t need a thing done to the donor. Also have them look at the frame to verify it’s integrity. Something going on by back tire?

If it had the leather seating surfaces, they’re indestructible as well as inexpensive to swap new covers. With it being a 2010 you also have the last year of the better designed, trouble free, front inner door panels. If there’s Navi you also got the HDD harddrive based unit that actually still functions well.

They all have to have something wrong with them. This looks like it’s not a walk away though. Does it have heated seats and 2nd row bench or captains chairs? The couch or 60/40 bench seat is a kids dream. Factory tow control equipped by foot brake?

If it has adjustable pedals let the Mrs drive it and enjoy the back up cam. These full size GM SUV are fiercely protective of the occupants because of all the airbags and their mass.
Thanks for the response. I’m not too worried about some underbody rust, just if it’s rotting the frame away.

I know the original owner used it to tow their 28 foot motor home in the summer but I’m not sure what towing accessories it’s equipped with, but I’m willing to bet it has most options.

I have attached photos of the second row and nav unit. Unfortunately the ad does not have much information so trying to piece together what I can.

Attachments

• IMG_0331.jpeg
    IMG_0331.jpeg
    331.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0330.jpeg
    IMG_0330.jpeg
    224 KB · Views: 3

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Oh yea! Kids nap wagon deluxe!! Look’s good so far. Keep in mind here in SoCal it’s 75-$80 to fill up on e85 vs $180 for the same 30 gal of 91. With that 40 gal dual tank an e85 fill up is just under $100 vs about $180 for regular fuel.

These motors love e85 towing and always run smoother, quieter and have more bite on the pedal. You’ll get close to a 400 range on e85. Even longer on regular when not towing.

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. I’m not too worried about some underbody rust, just if it’s rotting the frame away.

I know the original owner used it to tow their 28 foot motor home in the summer but I’m not sure what towing accessories it’s equipped with, but I’m willing to bet it has most options.

I have attached photos of the second row and nav unit. Unfortunately the ad does not have much information so trying to piece together what I can.
Seeing the sunroof, the auto climate control, nav, and the buttons underneath the climate control, I'd say it's pretty heavily optioned out.

Mine has just about every available option - and everything still works as it should. The biggest issue is the rear defrost tabs breaking off the glass. But the windows back there are 5% limo tint, and I have towing mirrors, so I don't really care if I can't see out the back.

Best thing you can do is have a local mechanic do a prepurchase inspection. It could cost as much as $150, but it's cheap insurance to make sure you're not getting a lemon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan