You guys are awesome & helped me fix the brakes now I need to replace 2 more things.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

billowred

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I just got new tires so I went in to get an alignment. While I was there they showed me that the "Pitman Arm" and the the driver side "hub" need to be replaced. I have the 4x4 model and they quoted me a little over $700 to repair both. I checked the search and I'm not sure if the wording I used is correct and didn't find anything on it. But this isn't my daily driver so I like trying to work on it myself. You guys helped me with my rear brakes and many other things that I did alone so I'm turning to you to see how hard these 2 things are to replace and what else should I replace while I have it apart?
I'm not the best mechanic but after screaming the F word and throwing a few things I manage to some how get it done.:Stupid Me:

Thank you!

josueh95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is that just labor or parts included? mines an nbs but 4x4 also my hub was 150 and replaced it in about an hour..not a hard job at all..my pitman arm was i believe 40 and i also had my idler arm replaced for 100 from a mechanic i know..soo in total i paid about 320 for all of that i think if you ask around youll find a much better deal

OP
OP
billowred

billowred

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is that just labor or parts included? mines an nbs but 4x4 also my hub was 150 and replaced it in about an hour..not a hard job at all..my pitman arm was i believe 40 and i also had my idler arm replaced for 100 from a mechanic i know..soo in total i paid about 320 for all of that i think if you ask around youll find a much better deal

It's labor and parts. I was thinking of going to a few other shops but I'd like to do it on my own if I can.

josueh95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i do know that the pitman arm you might need a special tool for it and its alot harder job than the wheel hub..i went to get an alignment also and they told me i needed to replace all balljoints tie rods pitman arm idler arm and my passenger hub but got it all done mostly myself only thing i cudnt do what the pitman arm and idler arm

sparg93

Expedition Tahoe
Reaction score
The pitman is not that difficult to remove and you can get a good AC Delco or Moog unit for about $40 from Rock Auto, dealer will be more expensive. It helps to have an air gun b/c there is a large amount of torque on the nut you have to take off...then you need to put it back on.

The pitman arm is that piece of metal that is connected directly to the bottom of the steering gear. The other side of the pitman is connected to a big piece of metal and moves when you turn the wheel to turn the tires.

Other then the nut, it's an easy job and you just need to make sure you align the pitman in the same orientation as you took it off. It's keyed so it should be obvious.

For the hub, I'm assuming it's the hub bearing? If so, ONLY go with Timken/AC Delco. Expect to spend $120 - $200 on it new. It's an easy job and the only unique tool you will need is the large socket (IIRC it's 33mm or 34mm) to take the axle nut off.

Check out a few youtube vids and I'm sure there's a least one that will take you through it.

For about $250, you can do it all yourself. If you spend $700 and do it yourself, you can replace both hub bearings, the pitman, idler, idler bracket and tie rod ends.

Definitely try this one yourself, it's not too hard and it will make you even more familiar with your truck.

Anything I miss on this one?

scottg918514

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's labor and parts. I was thinking of going to a few other shops but I'd like to do it on my own if I can.

I've put new Pitman arms on, not technically hard, just need the right tools. You will need a good puller, or specific pitman arm puller, a splitter fork, and patient. I remember the driver's side on my NBS Tahoe being a *****.

No room to hammer the fork on the linkage end (I have an air splitter now), but finally got it off. I was replacing the steering gear, but I couldn't get the Pitman arm off the old box. Used a lot of heat, but just ended up bending my puller to hell. Since I was putting in a new steering box, I just got a new Pitman arm too.

Donnie Yukonie

Yates Caretaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As stated above A pitman arm puller Is the best way to go about it makes life a lot easier , and doesn't cost much I think I got mine threw summit

---------- Post added at 03:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:34 AM ----------

Moving this to the lifted and suspension section

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishcop076