Odd Bose radio issues. No sound when cold. Randomly powers off for a few seconds. Occasional theftlock briefly then works fine.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

asand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OEM look is overrated. Newer trucks have OEM touchscreens anyway. I replaced a Pioneer touchscreen with an ATOTO Android unit. I bypassed the BLOSE amp and tapped power right off the fuse box. No courtesy timer, no chime, no nothing. Now I have a HU that just works, AND has navigation.

OP
OP
Burban22

Burban22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
update

Found another oem GM radio. Same Delphi part number as my current radio. Installed it and of course got the theft lock message. Tried a VCX nano tech2win from eBay and it would not clear the Vin no matter what I tried even rolled back the tech2 software from to version 30 which is supposed to be able to write or clear vin info, still no go. Returned that.

Watched Dr. shock video on YouTube and you can simply unsolder your EEPROM chip and move to other radio if you have another radio that is the same part number. I did this and replacement radio boots up no theft lock even has my stations preprogrammed since they reside in the EEPROM chip.

Radio now works tested it down to 25° F and I get sound.

Only existing issue so far is radio will randomly reboot like the old one did and get codes:
U1000 class 2 data link malfunction U1016 lost communications with PCM.

Guessing I have another module causing GMLAN issues.

LtFire340

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2004 Z71 Tahoe and replaced the radio with aftermarket. I'm also having the same intermittent issues. I've been thinking it may be linked to the timer or relay of some sort. Where is the timer located? I have no other issues with chimes, etc...just radio will come on when it gets ready. It works more often than not.

OP
OP
Burban22

Burban22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2004 Z71 Tahoe and replaced the radio with aftermarket. I'm also having the same intermittent issues. I've been thinking it may be linked to the timer or relay of some sort. Where is the timer located? I have no other issues with chimes, etc...just radio will come on when it gets ready. It works more often than not.
Is your system Bose? If so, are you still using the BOSE amp or did you bypass it when you went with the aftermarket radio?

If you’re still using the BOSE amp (installed under center console) that’s another common failure point.

Last edited:

Gerardo2024

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2004 Suburban and am having the same issues as mentioned above. I pulled the BOSE amp and am going to the junkyard tomorrow to look for a replacement. Is there a way to test the amp to see if it is good or bad?

OP
OP
Burban22

Burban22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2004 Suburban and am having the same issues as mentioned above. I pulled the BOSE amp and am going to the junkyard tomorrow to look for a replacement. Is there a way to test the amp to see if it is good or bad?
I thought my no sound when cold issue was the bose amp but turns out it was the radio head unit in the dash. I tested this by bringing the radio in the house overnight while everything else was outside in the cold. Installed warm radio and everything worked fine.

You can just swap bose amps with a junkyard relacement but they need to look the same on the outside. The repacement I found was a different part number than my original but it worked fine when I swapped it in.

OP
OP
Burban22

Burban22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am still getting U1000 and U1016 codes even though my sound is now working when cold. Also getting Rear Seat Entertainment comm issues. I get some static squealing noise from the rear speakers when truck is first started so I am going to swap out the RSE control panel with a junkyard spare and see if that changes anything. RSE is the sound and heat controls on the back of the center console.

Gerardo2024

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I swapped out the amp for one from the junkyard. It looked identical and bolted right in. Did not work. So I guess I am on to the radio.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo