What did you do to your OBS GMT400 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rolfsent

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My brake pads I put in a year ago were making a really bad screech when low speed braking so I had them replaced and rotors turned today. It kills me to replace 8mm pads...

SeanEboy

Reaction score
That is a risk you take buying used, but damn, I feel for you, that blows having to do all that work to it.

cent frum a smaert fone

Ouch. Sorry to hear that. Honestly.. you are so far into it, might as well work through this last hiccup (literally) and then hopefully thats it for a while.
I definitely feel you though.. (little less hurtful - but still, I've done a lot of the same to my 95 Tahoe)

It's kind of like stock market investing.. Sometimes you're money goes WAY down.. but if you ride it out, maybe your enjoyment level will cover the "recuperation" of the money you've put into it. Unlike the stocks.. You'll never get your money back for this thing, but hopefully your enjoyment levels can outweigh the money. Best of luck moving forward from here with it!
:cheers:

Yeah, it really sucks.. But, what pisses me off the most, is that I made poor decisions based off $$$..I went from "eff this truck, give me the cheapest crap you can throw in it", to "welp, I'm this far into it, I guess I'll keep it awhile"..

Now, what sucks most about that is the following: Instead of going with a GM factory new $2k motor (3 year/100k warranty), or reman @ $2050- which is better as supposedly updates are done to it, and it's the same darn price (3 year/unlimited mileage), I went with the local engine builder shop, and a 1 year/12k miles warranty. The only savings I really had was the $300-500 in extra parts (new motor install package - water pump, tin, etc). WHICH I GOT CHARGED FOR ANYWAY - when the mechanic pulled the typical water pump and thermostat install on me. So, yeah. That is what pisses me off the most.. For once in my life I opted for the cheap way out, and it ended up costing me the same anyway, on something that I KNEW deserved top notch stuff. So, now I have a practically 'restored' 99 Tahoe, with a crappy rebuilt motor, and not a new reman. All over money I didn't save anyway.

Here's my question.. So, if you drop a rebuilt motor into something that needed a motor, and it still runs like crap... Wouldn't fuel quality be the first place to look? I bet I didn't even need a damn motor, and it was just some crappy gas or something.

I appreciate the support guys.. I'm just pissed that I don't know how to do this stuff myself. I wish I did.

BirchyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry for your $$ spent as well. I didn't get mine inspected before I bought it, and I've had to sink about $3k into it, but nothing like yours.

How much of the old engine did they transfer over? Did they reuse things like the injectors, the fuel spider, distributor, etc?

SeanEboy

Reaction score
Sorry for your $$ spent as well. I didn't get mine inspected before I bought it, and I've had to sink about $3k into it, but nothing like yours.

How much of the old engine did they transfer over? Did they reuse things like the injectors, the fuel spider, distributor, etc?

Well, when the guy was working on the original motor, at first, he said, "Yeah, it's the spark plug wires, they're arcing", so he did a $350 tune up.. Did that, then he said, "Oh yeah, it's dumping raw fuel, must be the spider, $350", and I knew that there was an improved spider, etc, and he let me buy it and have it sent over.. He installed that, then, "Yeah, I had the truck idling in the parking lot, and it just lost compression in (3) cylinders..."

Only things that didn't transfer were the thermostat, and water pump.

So, yeah, that stuff all transferred.. Of course, the spark plug wires were only a year old, so I HIGHLY DOUBT they even were an issue to begin with. I honestly think my old motor might very well be fine, and it was all bullcrap. I mean, a FLANGE came off the bolt on cat/y pipe/all that stuff, and he made me get a new one... Literally the flange at the motor end of the pipe came off... I bet any shop could've repaired that for nothing. He also kept my old ones, said there was a 'core charge' of $300 on it.. On cats? Come on. I got smoked, I think...

BirchyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, when the guy was working on the original motor, at first, he said, "Yeah, it's the spark plug wires, they're arcing", so he did a $350 tune up.. Did that, then he said, "Oh yeah, it's dumping raw fuel, must be the spider, $350", and I knew that there was an improved spider, etc, and he let me buy it and have it sent over.. He installed that, then, "Yeah, I had the truck idling in the parking lot, and it just lost compression in (3) cylinders..."

So, yeah, that stuff all transferred.. Of course, the spark plug wires were only a year old, so I HIGHLY DOUBT they even were an issue to begin with. I honestly think my old motor might very well be fine, and it was all bullcrap. I mean, a FLANGE came off the bolt on cat/y pipe/all that stuff, and he made me get a new one... Literally the flange at the motor end of the pipe came off... I bet any shop could've repaired that for nothing. He also kept my old ones, said there was a 'core charge' of $300 on it.. On cats? Come on. I got smoked, I think...

Ouch. Yeah, I think you should have someone else check it out. Are you sure he even swapped the motor?

On the cat - I told the shop I wanted my old one back as I planned to get the scrap value out of it. They told me they had to keep it for the "EPA". They gave me a good enough deal that I didn't push it, but I also doubt it. They're probably getting the scrap value as well.

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
New carpet installed, led swap (both trucks) and painted the speaker grills to match the rest of the paint (both trucks)

noJeepshere

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I would look for another mechanic, this one sounds shady. Seems like he's got a great director of repeat business, and his name is Lucen Dembolts. Was your check engine light on before any of this, and is it on now? It should be, arcing spark plug wires would cause a terrible misfire that would throw a code. Dumping "raw fuel" into the engine is what the injectors do, unless he meant that raw fuel was getting into the exhaust, which would throw some O2 sensor codes. And "just lost compression?" I don't think so, you don't just "lose" compression unless something horrible happened, in which case the motor probably quit.

I think you were taken for a ride on all this, and that isn't cool. Take it to another shop and get their opinion, which you should always do, as it engenders honesty (sic) in the quotes and work to be done.

cent frum a smaert fone

Reaction score
Finally put my 6" lift on! Heres some pics of it. And by the way, does any one know what kind of rims I have? I thought they were american racing rims but I cant seem to find them any where. I wanna buy a matching spare and mount it on the rear. They were originally chrome plated but I powder coated them.

Attachments

• 20140502_172154.jpg
    20140502_172154.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 20140503_181123.jpg
    20140503_181123.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 20140505_150919.jpg
    20140505_150919.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 22
  • Screenshot_2014-05-06-18-26-28.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-05-06-18-26-28.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 25

rolfsent

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally put my 6" lift on! Heres some pics of it. And by the way, does any one know what kind of rims I have? I thought they were american racing rims but I cant seem to find them any where. I wanna buy a matching spare and mount it on the rear. They were originally chrome plated but I powder coated them.

Crager soft 8's maybe?

BirchyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I received my new ScanGauge II and got it setup. Took about 3 minutes to enter the XGauge parameters for the transmission temp. Don't have a great place to mount it other on the bottom edge of the dash bezel, right in front of the transmission gear indicator. Works great so far.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jmily8474

Latest posts