What did you do to your NNBS GMT900 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NGAneer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Especially since you need to pull the transmission to do it!!! I replaced mine when I swapped trannies just as preventive maintenance.

That's what I'm saying. I'm pretty sure I've got a small rear seal leak but I've gone without changing it just because it doesn't leak all that much and because I'm confident I could do it given the right tools (read: LIFT). Just don't have the right tools.

Drok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1912EC55-692F-4852-AC87-E20D22163377.jpeg

New rotors and pads all around. And its the only clean place on the truck haha.

Gonna have to replace the contron arms in the near future. Man i cant catch a break with spending money on fixing stuff this year :confused:(not just the truck but around the house also)

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put the truck up on the ramps Wednesday night and sprayed PB Blaster on all the bolts and nuts. Early the next morning my daughter and I set to removing the y-pipe in the driveway. Started by loosening everything that was loose, disconnecting the O2 sensors harnesses etc. Then found the roundest part of the crossover pipe and put the pipe cutter on it, seemed to make quick work and then progressed stopped after tightening. My kids tried it without much success as their hands are just to weak to squeeze and cut stainless. My last ounce of energy nearly cut through the top, the last part, but that is when both hands, fingers and arms cramped up and was forced to call it a day. Earlier we removed the most stubborn nuts and broke a Craftsman extension so after this is done I'll see about replacing it. The O2 sensor clip up on the side of the transmission was impossible for me to get my hand to, my daughter could get at it but it was extremely difficult to get loose but she eventually got it.

The next morning she pried the cut open and broke the pipe and removed the driver's side cat and crossover pipe. Now we were after the right side. She asked if we could move the swaybar out of the way and I remembered a guy doing that on a video I'd watched last year. That didn't go so well. Snapped the head off the 10mm bolt. If we could remove the right side flange the cat should drop out so we got out my Dremel tool and 5 cutting wheels later cut through it and then tried to pry it apart. No joy. So then I tried to cut through the exhaust once again but the cut off wheels were only lasting about ten seconds each. We got about 2/3 of the way around but by this time I was spent. Metal shards sticking out of my arms, chest and my beared smelled burnt. Any healthy man could have knocked this out easy peasy but my constitution is worse than an old lady's. Sadly, I conceded defeat and called some mobile mechanics. Found a good exhaust shop too that would've done the work for $100 labor but I didn't know he existed. The mechanic should be here Saturday.

Even if he gets that busted bolt out, I don't think it wise to drive the truck without it, what do y'all think? I'll call the local dealer's parts department in the morning and see if they're open too. My girls were great, they put everything they had into helping the old man out. I was just too optimistic about my physical abilities.

The Magnaflow Y-pipe is well made and mandrel bent. I learned something new, that resonator in front of the muffler is for V4 mode and on the inside looks like a catalyst too. When cutting behind the bad cat, what looked like sand was coming out.

To be continued...

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think it would hurt anything to drive it a few miles with the pipes open and 02's off, its just smog crap, you might want to tap that sway bar bolt though first or just drive it easy, worst case is it might bend the bracket a little but there easy to bend back with a hammer or a vice. thieves like to crawl under cars here and cut the cat's off and sell them to the scrap yards, hear cars driving down the road like that often.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nothing like parts that have been heated and cooled a few thousand times, they seem to weld themselves together. I agree it should be ok to drive a few miles like that. Good luck, I'm sure it will turn out good. Sounds like that cat is definitely bad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n