What did you do to your NBS GMT800 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chubbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@M1Gunner

I bought this truck last summer; brakes and coolant are the only things I have left to service. it has new pad/rotors all the way around at this point. This brake fluid appears to be the original fill.

Not only have i read different testimonials, but I've a couple of mechanic buddies tell me they gravity purge their own brakes even though they have access to pressurized equip at work which they use on customer jobs. They say nothing beats a good gravity flush. In the past i always did the 2-person brake bleed but its whatever.

05alive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was there anything special with the install of the spindles? Any special tools or tips?

Replace bj's while you have everything apart. I see you're from VA and you don't get crazy rust and corrosion like the NE, but it can be a bear, especially on older vehicles. You'll already have everything out for the spindle replacement, might as well rent/ borrow a press and push the ball joints out while you're right there. It saves you time disassembling/reassembling everything and an extra alignment.

I spent 7 hours to do my drivers side a couple years ago, I ended up having to cut out the upper with a torch.

Shaw520

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats good advice Gunner,...how do you bleed via scan tool ???
@M1Gunner

I've a couple of mechanic buddies tell me they gravity purge their own brakes even though they have access to pressurized equip at work which they use on customer jobs. They say nothing beats a good gravity flush. .

Id like to know the proper procedure for gravity purging,... I was under the impression that since ABS that you cant thoroughly bleed via gravity.

04Huck

"I'd rather be lucky than good"
Reaction score
Replace bj's while you have everything apart. I see you're from VA and you don't get crazy rust and corrosion like the NE, but it can be a bear, especially on older vehicles. You'll already have everything out for the spindle replacement, might as well rent/ borrow a press and push the ball joints out while you're right there. It saves you time disassembling/reassembling everything and an extra alignment.

I spent 7 hours to do my drivers side a couple years ago, I ended up having to cut out the upper with a torch.
Press them out, right :lol2: Don't even bother with that, just buy new loaded arms. That way you get new bushings too and don't have to spend hours fighting the BJs

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Id like to know the proper procedure for gravity purging,... I was under the impression that since ABS that you cant thoroughly bleed via gravity.

Scan tool can pump the abs module so it forces air out...

00'BlueSteel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Press them out, right :lol2: Don't even bother with that, just buy new loaded arms. That way you get new bushings too and don't have to spend hours fighting the BJs

I had a shop press and the rented ball joint tool, did the lower controls completely, replaced ball joints and bushings. If I had known how hard it was gonna be and I would have had the money I would have just bought all new ones.

Chubbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score

the better equipped diagnostic tools have a function that pulses the ABS pump. But you don't need that for everyday caliper replacement or BF refresh. I've heard of people doing the same thing by jumping the ABS relay with a paperclip or wire when in a jamb.

the real method to gravity purge is get a long ass tube that reaches from the caliper to any point higher than the MC reservoir. you put tube on the caliper, run the other end to your catch can 4-feet or more off the ground with enough BF already in it to submerge that hose end; secure everything well. open the caliper valve and let it go, maintaining the full-fill of new BF in the MC reservoir. Other than that, you would just use a shorter hose with catch can right there on the ground. some BF in the can with hose submerged and secured. open the valve, then get in the truck and hit the brake pedal 1/2 dozen times. do not push the brake pedal to the floor. only halfway at the most, nice and steady motion.

95escahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dropped off the Escalade to have rims put on along with new tires and found out I’ve got a bad outer tie rod end, which explains this issue I’ve been having with the front end

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
preinternet