What did you do to your NBS GMT800 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bombsquad85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replace bj's while you have everything apart. I see you're from VA and you don't get crazy rust and corrosion like the NE, but it can be a bear, especially on older vehicles. You'll already have everything out for the spindle replacement, might as well rent/ borrow a press and push the ball joints out while you're right there. It saves you time disassembling/reassembling everything and an extra alignment.

I spent 7 hours to do my drivers side a couple years ago, I ended up having to cut out the upper with a torch.

I was planning on that. My ball joints are shot I'm pretty sure of it.

05alive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Press them out, right :lol2: Don't even bother with that, just buy new loaded arms. That way you get new bushings too and don't have to spend hours fighting the BJs

Lol huck you’re gonna hate me.
I cut them flush with the control arms, heated the shit out of them, then hammered them out with an old kingpin from a dump truck I had lying around. The bottoms I said screw it and blew out with the acetylene torch.

Then I realized I just wasted about 110 dollars of my time and even more of my buddy’s.

If I wasn’t looking to do it as cheap as possible I would have bought new arms.

Isaiah W

Reaction score
I broke my Tahoe today. Kinda. It won't run at idle, when i try to start it, it just dies right away. Only stays alive if i rev it. Probably a fuel pump or throttle body injector. We'll see what mechanic says tomorrow, I managed to keep it running to drive it to the shop.

Bombsquad85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cut them flush with the control arms, heated the shit out of them, then hammered them out with an old kingpin from a dump truck I had lying around. The bottoms I said screw it and blew out with the acetylene torch.

Then I realized I just wasted about 110 dollars of my time and even more of my buddy’s.

So new control arms. Any recomendations? I have new lower bjs laying around from my tahoe but if they are that big of a pita I'd rather just go the control arm route

M1Gunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I broke my Tahoe today. Kinda. It won't run at idle, when i try to start it, it just dies right away. Only stays alive if i rev it. Probably a fuel pump or throttle body injector. We'll see what mechanic says tomorrow, I managed to keep it running to drive it to the shop.

Possibly a horrible vacuum leak, maybe purge solenoid stuck open... hopefully something along those lines that will be a quick easy and less painful to the wallet fix. Let us know brother.

Chubbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
update: after flushing the brake lines out last night, the driving manners of this truck have changed quite a bit. The commute to work this morning gave me the opportunity to put it through most scenario but just the handling and drivability improved so much, the braking was an added bonus; I knew the truck was fighting me but didn't realize how much until now.

all of that excessively-correcting the steering wheel at high-speeds that I posted on last year along with the 'wandering' was not an element to this morning's commute.

as for the actual braking characteristics, I wasn't experiencing any nose dive or veering. The braking is now predictable. Before, I would have no action for the first half of pedal travel, with all of the stopping effects at the bottom. Now, it is just smooth braking from beginning to end of pedal travel. I'm anxious for the drive home when I can put it through a couple of other exercises so I will update if its worth discussing.

04Huck

"I'd rather be lucky than good"
Reaction score

Lol Tony had the same idea when we did his 4/6 on his crew cab. He was all like "I've done this before, no problem. Just cut an X in the head of the bolt, knock the head off with a hammer and chisel and they'll come out with a couple swings."

...........almost 4 hrs later, the new ones are in. Bottom only mind you :signs75: This time around, when we lifted the truck, he just bought all new arms lolol

So new control arms. Any recomendations? I have new lower bjs laying around from my tahoe but if they are that big of a pita I'd rather just go the control arm route

The upper line Moog's are what I would use. I think my buddy that bought some not long ago found the best deal on Amazon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fstrtd666