What did you do to your NBS GMT800 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
View attachment 197059 View attachment 197060 View attachment 197061 View attachment 197062 I went to flush the brake lines and upon extracting the contents of the reservoir, massive amounts of debris was being cycled out with the orig fill B/F. Naturally, I continued adding new BF & extracting to continue removing the contaminants but I never reached a point where I was comfortable pulling what was left down through the calipers. The debris looks like silicone or some or synthetic base like the properties of a seal. After going through a quart I decided to top it off and leave it be so that I can remove more contamination tomorrow.

Am I being paranoid or will all of this flow through the caliper valves without issue? I'm going to start with the closest caliper so that I'm not pulling this shit through every last inch of hyd pipe. View attachment 197059View attachment 197060View attachment 197061View attachment 197062
Nasty stuff. What kind of tool are you using there?

Chubbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What kind of tool are you using there?

You know! MityVac.

that debris is either the MC seals degrading or even worse, it's backflush from mashing the caliper Pistons full open installing new brake pads. They say if you are smart, crack the bleeder when you manually open the calipers. It's hard to fix stupid.

Shaw520

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You know! MityVac.

that debris is either the MC seals degrading or even worse, it's backflush from mashing the caliper Pistons full open installing new brake pads. They say if you are smart, crack the bleeder when you manually open the calipers. It's hard to fix stupid.
Thats very true,.. When u manually open caliper without opening bleeder,.. Yer pushing all that crap/debris back up into the m/s and the rest of the network.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know! MityVac.

A few people have mentioned this to me, i tried it once, never noticed a difference.. something about back flushing through the abs iirc

Chubbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Galante

I can't know for sure if the trash originated within the MC resi' or if it backflushed, or if b/f is even possible. The shear quantity of particles really gives me pause. I've never seen this level of saturation. I won't be surprised if the brakes malfunction tomorrow.

I just need somebody to confirm past experience pulling full blown debris field through the caliper valves. The pics I posted are nothing compared to the volume of trash I see in irregular intervals when evacuating the BF resivoir.

And after seeing the sample collected in the milk jug, it's clearly obvious I have to go on and evacuate the pipes ASAP. If I don't get any feedback on this by tomw I will pump the resi out 1-more time and see what happens at the calipers after that. So much for Gravity purge, I'm going straight to the brake pedal

M1Gunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Galante

I can't know for sure if the trash originated within the MC resi' or if it backflushed, or if b/f is even possible. The shear quantity of particles really gives me pause. I've never seen this level of saturation. I won't be surprised if the brakes malfunction tomorrow.

I just need somebody to confirm past experience pulling full blown debris field through the caliper valves. The pics I posted are nothing compared to the volume of trash I see in irregular intervals when evacuating the BF resivoir.

And after seeing the sample collected in the milk jug, it's clearly obvious I have to go on and evacuate the pipes ASAP. If I don't get any feedback on this by tomw I will pump the resi out 1-more time and see what happens at the calipers after that. So much for Gravity purge, I'm going straight to the brake pedal

Gravity bleeding is a practice of the past. Though many still do it, it is an inefficient and improper bleeding procedure.

That being said, what you are sucking out with the mityvac WILL pump through your brake system. Yes, do yourself the favor and break the caliper bleeders free before you manually retract the caliper pistons. Your abs module will thank you later.

Bleed the system as normal, first opening the bleeder and manually retracting the caliper then closing off the bleeder one at a time. If you are replacing rotors and/or pads do your thing and button everything back up.

Suck out the fluid from the MC resi and fill it with new fluid. Pump/hold/bleed the brakes as normal starting with right rear until clean fluid flows. Then repeat for left rear then right front and then left front until they all push clean clear fluid. If you have access to a scan tool it’s good practice to bleed the abs via the scan tool BUT it’s not a must do UNLESS you are replacing the abs module/hbcu.

Edit: ps when was the last time you serviced the fluid?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abruck