Normal DRL function?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Milano_II

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi guys!

I've a 2013 Yukon XL SLT. What is the normal DRL function? Is it supposed to be the amber bulbs (turn signals) or is it the headlights at a lesser brightness? I swear I've seen it sometimes just sitting with the amber bulbs on while running... Yet, my headlights seem to be on all the time now. I've seen a few posts about modifying the DRLs and deleting the DRLs but I haven't figured out what exactly the DRLs are supposed to be... I suppose I could pull the DRL fuses and figure it out but I don't have the car here right now.

Thanks!

- I would prefer just the amber's as DRL if I could set it up that way!

blondie70

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pulled the fuse when I first got my truck...so never saw what they looked like..

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
drl's come on while the vehicle is in drive, no parking brake set and not while in reverse. until dusk then auto headlights come on
if you press fog light button during the day then the running light also come on and remain on unless you flip the headlight switch to off or until you cycle the key
on the yukons drl's are also the low beam at a lower voltage. when the sun sensor detects it is dark enough it triggers the headlight relay to full low beam voltage.
you can turn off the drl's at each key cycle by flipping the headlight switch to off, if you remove the spring from the switch then you have full manual control.

OP
OP
M

Milano_II

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
drl's come on while the vehicle is in drive, no parking brake set and not while in reverse. until dusk then auto headlights come on
if you press fog light button during the day then the running light also come on and remain on unless you flip the headlight switch to off or until you cycle the key
on the yukons drl's are also the low beam at a lower voltage. when the sun sensor detects it is dark enough it triggers the headlight relay to full low beam voltage.
you can turn off the drl's at each key cycle by flipping the headlight switch to off, if you remove the spring from the switch then you have full manual control.
Thank you! I believe what tripped me up was looking at the parking lights after using remote start!

Since you mentioned fog lights and all, it made me think of another question --

My dome/map lights in the front. They only work on door open or forced dome function - I can't use them separately without all the other lights on? I can toggle them so they don't come on with all the other lights... Kinda weird operation. Is this correct?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you! I believe what tripped me up was looking at the parking lights after using remote start!

Since you mentioned fog lights and all, it made me think of another question --

My dome/map lights in the front. They only work on door open or forced dome function - I can't use them separately without all the other lights on? I can toggle them so they don't come on with all the other lights... Kinda weird operation. Is this correct?
nope they should turn on anytime you press the button, no key in the ignition or anything
they should turn anytime you open the door unless disabeled
and if you turn them on and lock the vehicle and walk away accidently leaving them on they should stay on for 10-15 minutes, they might even stay on period until the battery dies (not entirely sure). on my gmt800 it would trigger my 3rd party alarm if my kids left a rear one on because after 15 minutes they would automaticilly shut off and cause a voltage spike triggering the alarm
sounds like maybe the wiring is bad on the console or something or maybe a previous owner rewired them to only have accessory power.
used replacements run about $30-50 on ebay for the whole console, just have to be sure to get the correct color or p/n which is on a label on the backside of the console

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you saying your dome light buttons don't work?

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Doubeleive

Are the GMT900s setup differently than the 800s in regards to how to DRLs function? The DRLs on my 2006 come on during the day anytime the truck is taken out of park, they’re active in all gears, even sitting in neutral with the parking brake engaged they’re still on during daylight.

OP
OP
M

Milano_II

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I think he has another post and said they only work when the lights are on, which makes me think either they have been re-wired somehow or simply defective.
Yes. It's definitely odd. If I push the buttons, that'll only make it so they don't turn on with the rest of the doors. They don't turn on independently. Not that I really need them much, but it was weird so I thought I would ask. I suppose it warrants more investigation !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigchad1