What antifreeze are you guys using?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blkcam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just as the title says.

I'm changing my intake gasket soon and I wanna steer clear from the Dexcool that everyone has been having problems with.

Any recommendations??

Biggwaukegan

Banned
Reaction score
I switched my dexacrap shit last year. Flush your entire system if your not replacing the radiatior. Fluch it well because dex and reg. green do not like each other. I use SHELL full strength green. Mix it to my preference. hope this help. But I did replace my radiator too.

Danny_Z56

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good quality brand 50/50 mix green.

At work the company uses the Red stuff for our fleet.I think Ford also uses the red coolent from the factory.

OP
OP
blkcam

blkcam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I switched my dexacrap shit last year. Flush your entire system if your not replacing the radiatior. Fluch it well because dex and reg. green do not like each other. I use SHELL full strength green. Mix it to my preference. hope this help. But I did replace my radiator too.

For sure I'm flushing the hell out of it. I would never mix antifreeze's.

How is the Shell? Radiator cap clean? Running any hotter?

---------- Post added at 04:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:12 PM ----------

Good quality brand 50/50 mix green.

At work the company uses the Red stuff for our fleet.I think Ford also uses the red coolent from the factory.

I was thinking of 50/50 mix Prestone.

I wanna see what others are using.

TahoeJim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For regular anti-freeze, it truly is all the same. There are only 2 actual manufacturers in the US and they distribute to everyone.....all "house brands" like NAPA and other parts stores, etc.

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
still running dexcool. been good for the last 183,000 miles. there are a ton of boats at work that run dex, on closed systems without any problems as well.

OP
OP
blkcam

blkcam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking of sticking with Dex cool but I think that it is what caused my intake gasket to start leaking so I wanna try another brand.

I've had dex cool for 99,*** miles now (I have changed it before) its been pretty good, the truck stays at one temp even on long trips on the hottest summer day, radiator cap is pretty clean. Its just the leaky intake gasket part.

Is there anything you guys add to battle rust? Any additives?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645