Weak blower motor / fan

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

M1Gunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would also replace the cabin air filters. Mine had never been replaced - its a 2002 - and I got it in 2015. Needless to say, they were seriously restricting the air flow!

They did away with cabin air filters in the gmt800 in 03/04 until the NBA in 07 if I'm not mistaken.

Tahoes and Silverado alike.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
U can add one, dorman kits on amazon cheap and simple i would cut it open just to clean it oit and benefit there is adding the filter

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought a 2005 Tahoe. Owner advised the blower didn't work at one point so resistor was replaced and now only speeds 3 and 5 work. Suggestions?
There are a few versions out there. Do you have manual control or automatic climate control (digital display of temp)? You may have the wrong one in there.

OP
OP
C

cptmoney

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So how do test my blower motor? Should I just start with the resistor and THEN move to the motor?

Where is the front blower resistor? The rear is under the plastic cover on the passenger side in the cargo area of my Tahoe, correct?

OP
OP
C

cptmoney

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Finally finding some time to get this dealt with. That, and it's warming up quickly - so momma is cracking the whip on me!

Here's the rear controls in my '01:

03492ec566ef4425dea8c12711e422ac.jpg

M1Gunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So how do test my blower motor? Should I just start with the resistor and THEN move to the motor?

Where is the front blower resistor? The rear is under the plastic cover on the passenger side in the cargo area of my Tahoe, correct?

Does the blower motor engage at any speeds? If yes then technically it's good. If it works on one or a couple speeds but not all speeds then the resistor is bad. Typically if the resistor is bad then something caused it to over heat perhaps the cabin air filter has restricted air flow which would not be able to cool the air cooled resistor. (04ish is when GM took a break from cabin air filters so yours would have one if you are unaware of this then you more than likely need to change it out lol)
If the blower doesn't work on any speeds then you need to either check for source voltage (12v) and a good ground at the blower motor or disconnect the blower motor completely and supply it a power and ground (12v since that would be source voltage in the vehicle) and see it it's operational.
If the blower motor has failed it is good practice to change the resistor along with the blower motor.
After you accomplish this and it these two components are ruled out the we'll dive a lil deeper.

Let me know how it goes and good luck!

Edit: the blower motor resistor is in the same vicinity as the front blower motor underneath the passenger side dash secured in the evaporator case.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrLeritz