Washing Engine Bay

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fishintahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need to wash my engine bay but am scared to death of spraying the engine with a pressure washer. Im sure its a normal thing but im just affraid of getting water where its not supposed to IE roter and cap or worse... the oil. Any suggestions on prepping the motor before i apply degreaser and put the pressure washer to it?

Sorry... posted in wrong setion.

Last edited:

gitrduun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I usually use baby shampoo and water mixed at 1:6 baby shampoo doesnt have detergent so it's not really damaging, just cover your engine in the soap, staying away from your alternator and coil packs, then lightly spray with a garden hose. A good idea when you have the hose out is to wash out your rad

gitrduun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah that's always a good idea too. Haha sorry

ATL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i pressure washed my motor and it went haywire for a week. i had to buy a scanner so id be able to drive the damn thing. something in the throttle positioning got wet. once its readings stop matching the readings from the gas pedal, the vehicle goes into limp mode. the dash says engine power reduced and ur lucky if the truck has the power to pull its own weight.

i ended up spraying wd40 into the connections around the throttle body and it fixed the problem. but i HIGHLY recommend having a scanner available just in case. i bought my scanner off amazon for $30 with free next day shipping. it threw the code for a day or 2 after i wd40'ed it, once it went into limp mode, i could clear the code and get going again before the truck even rolled to a stop

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greygranny