What is this tray in the engine bay supposed to hold? (2018 Tahoe Premier RST w/6.2L & 10spd)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jimstem

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
We've had this 2018 Tahoe Premier RST w/6.2L & 10spd about a month now. When I looked in the engine bay, I noticed an empty tray on the drivers side of the engine. Anyone know why it's empty and/or what, if anything, is supposed to be there? (see photos)

Attachments

• IMG_5999.jpeg
    IMG_5999.jpeg
    517.5 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_5998.jpeg
    IMG_5998.jpeg
    521.8 KB · Views: 21

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It can be added pretty easily...

As for what it was used for... Diesel applications mainly, but also people with bug thumping stereo systems, or people that live out of their trucks, and???

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I added a 2nd battery to mine mostly for less chance of coming out to a dead battery
and it was pretty easy to do
if you decide to do it, it is recomended that both battery's be the same type/size and age, mixing battery size-type-and different age can cause problems

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Easily done. If you do it, may want to think about a higher amp alternator but can be ok without it, too.

justchecking

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Or if you have a camper you can get the HellRoaring kit and have that second battery as your backup starting battery. Normally everything including the camper if connected will run from the original primary battery. IF you run down the primary battery you can switch to the backup battery for starting. With the HellRoaring kit the backup is charged whenever the engine is running. It is disconnected whenever the engine isn't running. GREAT for boondocking or as an example when we ran a fridge off the primary battery for 72 hours running down the primary battery. No prob, flipped a switch to the backup and away we went. Avoiding a New Your City $75 jump start charge!

2591tdj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like some others on the site, I bought a plastic storage box with lid from Lowe’s and store a small air compressor and some basic tools in it. It fits just right in the empty space. I strapped it down with a battery hold-down strap although that’s not necessary.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts