Wanting to paint the chrome bumper??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Danielgreig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can anyone help me with some advice on painting all the chrome on my Tahoe? I want to paint the bumpers and the grill black. As far as the bumpers go. Do I need to sandblast all the chrome off or is there a primer that will do the trick? Same goes for the grill but because its plastic, I have no idea where to start.

Mr.Jack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went to the local painter, but he did not recommend repainting that crome. The paint would sooner or later chip off because of stones and stuff from cars ahead.
I will therefor just order a new black powdercoated bumper from the US.

DenaliGrill.com

Denali Grill
Reaction score
Painting a Factory Grill Shell

Hi,

The Vacuum Metalized Finish (fake chrome for plastic) needs to be sanded and PPG Etching Primer used.

MrBalll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had mine painted professionally and they had to blast the "chrome" off so do that if you plan on painting it.

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
y dont u plastidip it? looks good and if it falls off u can put it on easier and if u miss the chrome it comes off easy

vatahoelt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
y dont u plastidip it? looks good and if it falls off u can put it on easier and if u miss the chrome it comes off easy

+1 for this. that's what i did for the grill, bumpers, and door moldings.

i thought it turned out pretty good. and i like that it's removable if i ever get tired of the blacked out look. comes in diff colors and they also make a clear coat spray that can go on over the flat color.

carcrz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can use etching primer, but make sure to sand real good before hand but it will work i have done it and it works with n no problem

DaUsedMCR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I plasti dipped mine a while back, looks good in my opinion and its held up pretty well. i did it on the side molding and on the rims too, but i sprayed some rim clear coat on top of the plasti dip on the rims

IMG_20111108_115636.jpg

IMG_20111108_115619.jpg

IMG_20111108_115609.jpg

Justinj360

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Old post I know, but has anyone had any issues with the plastic steps digging into the paint? I just had my chrome rear bumper sandblasted and painted like a Z71 by a body shop and now I'm worried about the steps digging in. The shop said they would use the "good" clear coat so that wouldn't happen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wesley e