Breaking the Bead on a 22"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bad_idea

Reaction score
So... I have a 2018 Yukon XL Denali with the 22" chrome snowflake wheels. I picked up a set of 20" OEM wheels off a 2022 Sierra. The previous owner of the 20" wheels had a tire shop break the outer bead and pull his sensors. This got me thinking, as I am a cheapskate... I could do the same with my old wheels, swap the sensors over, and air them up. The balance should be good still as the inner bead wasn't broken - the tire/wheel orientation are still the same.

I don't have a tire machine, but I have broken down tires by hand in the garage with the usual MCGuyver solutions. How much hell you all think I will go through breaking the bead on that 22" wheel? Anyone have experience breaking them in the garage? Trying to save the $50 or so of a shop doing it for me.

Also, any ideas what I can sell the 22" chrome snowflake wheels for? One has a leak on the outer bead due to corrosion on the wheel (tire shop already slathered some sealant on it once). The rest are in fair condition, no curb rash and minor pitting/scuffs that you can only see with a close inspection.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For starters, if you break the bead in the wrong spot you'll get the joy of buying a new TPMS. Also, why risk damaging a nice aluminum wheel to save $50? I see your point, but I wouldn't go the tire iron way on these new wheels.

Have a shop break them down, wire wheel the bead sealing surface nice and clean and pop in NEW sensors. If yours are from 2018, then just get new ones and sell the other set complete. If they aren't all corroded, with OK tread, they probably are worth $600 easily on FB.

k_arnold72

Reaction score
If you youtube it there's a few ways to get it done with a jack at home. But it's easier on thicker tires. 22s with this aspect ratio are borderline low profile. So you're risking damaging the wheels or sensors, as stated above.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My shop typically uses the bead breaking method to install new TPMS sensors. The first few times that they did this on my 20" wheels, I had bead leak afterward and a return visit to fix. Since then, they break the entire bead on that side of the tire, clean the rim's bead with a an air tool with a very mild abrasive, apply bead sealant, and then pump up the tire and re-balance it. This change saves us both the time for a second appointment.

OP
OP
B

bad_idea

Reaction score
I attempted to break the bead tonight on one of the wheels. No bueno. I placed the wheel/tire on the floor of my garage, put the foot of my high lift jack in on a board on the sidewall, put the lift foot in the receiver hitch of my jeep, and jacked it up/down. Lifted the jeep off the ground without the bead breaking.

The tires are slap worn out, so I used a 3" hole saw to make an access window in the tread to remove the sensor. Soon enough I will list a set of 22" snowflakes in fair condition, tires no good. :lol:

slupie

Reaction score
I attempted to break the bead tonight on one of the wheels. No bueno. I placed the wheel/tire on the floor of my garage, put the foot of my high lift jack in on a board on the sidewall, put the lift foot in the receiver hitch of my jeep, and jacked it up/down. Lifted the jeep off the ground without the bead breaking.

The tires are slap worn out, so I used a 3" hole saw to make an access window in the tread to remove the sensor. Soon enough I will list a set of 22" snowflakes in fair condition, tires no good. :lol:
Where are you located as I might be interested in your snowflakes without tires.

OP
OP
B

bad_idea

Reaction score
This just seems like it has your username all over it… @bad_idea.
(Sorry I had to…)

In all seriousness I wouldn’t risk potentially damaging a rim, tire, or TPMS over saving $50.
Ohh, it's done! I used a 4" hole saw in the center of the tread beside the valve stem. It worked great. Absolutely no damage to the wheel, but plenty of damage to the (worn-out) tires.

The wife and I are happy with the new wheels/tires.

new tires.jpg

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should have mentioned you were more than willing to sacrifice the tire to accomplish this!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts