Towing with '15 LTZ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spinzone

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I joined this forum after searching long and ******* the towing performance of the '15 with magnetic ride control. Much to my dismay, I didn't find anything here or elsewhere on the web regarding towing impressions.

Today was the first day I was able to take out the boat and was able to test out how the new truck performed yanking the 6500lb+ rig down the road. I was nervous at first as my '10 LTZ really felt the boat behind it when towing. The auto ride suspension made me much more confident towing compared to even fullsized p/u I've towed with. When I hooked up the boat and put the full tongue weight on the hitch, I was incredibly surprised to hear the airbag system kick in and level the load. Don't laugh, I'm new to the magnetic ride so I didn't know how it would handle the weight and apparently neither did the other '15 owner at the ramp.

Regarding towing performance, the '15 has more pep than the previous generation did but nothing substantially noticeable. Getting up to 60mph didn't take significant effort but after that, it was a challenge to get her moving much faster. Keep in mind, my rig is 32' and acts like a giant parachute, so it feels more like 10,000lb. Braking was the highlight of the job. New HD brakes? Whatever GM has done has made a HUGE difference in stopping power. All in all the '15 performed much better than the '10.

Pockets

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice... I've only had two seadoos behind mine but I didn't notice them.

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sweet! Now I get to come up there and go out on the water!!!!

OP
OP
S

Spinzone

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sweet! Now I get to come up there and go out on the water!!!!

Anytime. We'd love to have you and the girls up on your next trip to the Carolinas!

---------- Post added at 10:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:07 AM ----------

Nice... I've only had two seadoos behind mine but I didn't notice them.

I'm on two other forums for both of my boat manufacturers and tow vehicles are a regular topic there. I was surprised I didn't see more threads here.

The auto ride suspension was great on my last Tahoe. The load leveling kept me from having to invest in an expensive hitch distribution system. I know in the last generation auto ride was only available on the LTZ models. With the '15s, auto ride is standard with trailering package (*** edited to included trailering package) on the LS and LT. I was originally fearful that the MRC on the LTZ was designed for soccer moms who never tow anything and no materials anywhere on the web mention airbags in addition to MRC. This system, while not perfect, makes a huge difference in stability, stopping, & steering when towing anything.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Spinzone

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
what?

link to this? I had the air ride on my 2005 Caddy and hated it

From GM Media release.
Z85 – Premium Smooth Ride with Air Control , which constantly senses and adjusts the rear suspension height until it is level. It is part of the trailering package available on LS and LT.
Z95 – Third-Generation Magnetic Ride Control . Standard on LTZ, it’s the world’s fastest-acting suspension – a real-time damping system that delivers more precise body motion control. It “reads” the road every millisecond and changes damping in just 10-15 milliseconds in shocks filled with a magneto-rheological (MR) fluid containing minute iron particles. Under the presence of magnetic charge, the iron particles align to provide damping resistance almost instantly.

vp46

Reaction score
Thanks for posting - Looking foprward toseeing/hearing the air leveler work this 4th! We'll be towing a ~6500 Mastercraft (less parachuting effect then you) - I've been towing with an '05 Crew Cab 5.3l ------ hoping for significant difference in power as we are climbing hwy 50 to get to a lake near Tahoe.

OP
OP
S

Spinzone

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
There is no question that you'll notice a big difference. The air ride and the added torque in the '15s makes trailering so much better. Fyi... I needed to go up to a 2" drop with this truck to level the trailer.

Btw... I'm envious! That portion of the country is beautiful with some crystal clear waters.

vp46

Reaction score
Tbis place is horrible, simply horrible. Water is a cool 78 degrees. Hate this place just hate it. ;)

08115143745.jpg

img_1073small.jpg

15340324.jpg