Toni's 03 XL Denali Resurection

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
I mean some safety mods won't hurt....hids for better visibility, brighter leds for turns and tails, interior leds, rear camera, nnbs brakes, escalade rack, 22s, 2/4 drop, bb tune.....

OP
OP
SirReal63

SirReal63

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No argument from me, time will tell how much a fuss she puts up. The backup camera, left rear stock speaker and oil pressure sender arrived yesterday. Of course it raining again and my shop is a storage area currently. It will have to wait. I also picked up a cold, so I feel lousy on top of it.

I have some research to do anyway, I want to try and find a grometted entry point for the backup cam cable. The cable came with gromets, but they are cheapo ones. The cable is plenty long enough, it is 24' for detachable cable and each end has another 2' on it.

I was going to order spark plugs but was confounded with a dizzying array of choices. I was going to use these... http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1053665&cc=1504408&jsn=26 PLATINUM IR FUSION but they are not OEM. I used the gapless plugs in my GM vehicles since the mid 90's and have had amazing life from them. Is there a reason not to use these any more?

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
I drilled a hole behind the tail light for the back up camera cable. Had to take the interior panel off but its all clips for the most part.

OP
OP
SirReal63

SirReal63

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Backup camera is installed, what a friggin' pain that was, the rain did not help. The first camera arrived DOA, Amazon promptly sent a replacement that arrived yesterday. The PAC RP5-GM11 is supposed to have a backup light trigger wire, but mine does not, so I ran a wire from the passenger side as per Dave's suggestion, it worked brilliantly. By far the hardest part was fishing the wires through the dash and that was not really difficult. I used a BOYO VT422HDL, I used this same one on 1994 CCLB F350 4WD IDI and it worked great for a truck over 20' long.

I knew the windshield washer tank had a leak, I filled it with water and watched it run out the bottom by the front tire. Replacement ordered and should be here on Monday. I also ordered some new push pins as I noticed several missing around the front fascia, that should tighten things up nicely. I held off on ordering new spark plugs, I read where so a lot of people have had issues with them coming in with the gap all over the place and iridium plugs should not have the gap changed. I have a friend at the Dealership, I will have him find me 8 with the correct gap.

A nice surprise with the Denali, it has zero rattles. Our road is a dirt road that is full of pot holes and mini ravines. It handles the bumps perfectly and nothing rattles, which is a surprise for a vehicle of this age and miles. I am going to work on the brakes a little, they stop fine but are a little spongy and the parking brake does not hold on a hill. I know the parking brake adjustment is a pain but doable. If the front pads are worn too much I will go the NNBS route with new SS lines, cheap and easy.

I am going to have to paint this camera white, it will drive me nuts. I will do it when I paint the vent appliques white.

20180304_103739_zpsgmss9z0f.jpg

Unfortunately my phone camera did not pick up the view, the Sun was in the wrong spot. I will try again later. As you can see my A/C buttons are worn, is there an easy fix? This also bugs my OCD.

20180304_103800_zpsij16ab4x.jpg

OP
OP
SirReal63

SirReal63

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced the windshield washer reservoir this morning. I did not do a full write up, there are plenty of them out there already, but grabbed a few pics once I remembered to grab the camera. This certainly is not a difficult job, but it can be a bit of a pain if there is any corrosion on the battery tray. I had that corrosion on two of the battery tray bolts, it took a little work to get them free. I think the battery tray was in good condition considering this Yukon has a build date of 05/03 and is approaching it's 15th birthday.

Out with the old...the leak was on the rear window pump, it had disintegrated. Luckily I ordered the entire assembly with new pumps.

20180306_104617_zpsiocoxpge.jpg

In with the new...I did pull it back out and hit that little rusty area with inhibitor as well.

20180306_104635_zpsevqgqqfj.jpg

The battery tray after a thick coat of rust inhibitor...

20180306_104554_zpsioo9o6c1.jpg

The finished product...

20180306_121800_zpsfoxq08zn.jpg

Everything works as expected and now I need to replace the rear window wiper, it has degraded enough to no longer be effective.

I also replaced a bunch of the push clips that surround and attach the front fascia, it is firmly attached again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTN_KDA