Time for a new look!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KonXL

Reaction score
Alright guys, so the auto-leveling shocks finally gave out on my 2000 yukon xl and I've been wanting to try out the level/lift stance people are running with here on the forums.

So from what I've read all I would need is a set of torsion keys, bilsteins 5100s, moog springs, and spring spacers? I've also heard you may need to change both front and rear sway links.

By doing all of this what problems will i be running into? Do i expect the front end of my yukon to ware out quicker? I've read some forums about how some people never had any issues with the suspension or steering as long as you dont maxout the keys and get longer shocks. Then others say its a constant problem one after another to just go with a lift kit.

I would appreciate any opinion or personal experience about this before I start buying parts and trying it out.

Brad poiencot

Reaction score
Hey buddy. I just lifted my Tahoe this morning using a set of eBay lift keys a few people referred me to, moog 81069 z71 springs and shock extenders all around (for now). Just those components lifted my truck 2" in the back and 2.75-3" in the front. Rides exactly like stock and completely leveled out now. Nothing is in a bind in my steering either. I put about 50 miles on it so far today with no issues.

massivespl

I'm not mean, I'm honest.
Reaction score
Hey buddy. I just lifted my Tahoe this morning using a set of eBay lift keys a few people referred me to, moog 81069 z71 springs and shock extenders all around (for now). Just those components lifted my truck 2" in the back and 2.75-3" in the front. Rides exactly like stock and completely leveled out now. Nothing is in a bind in my steering either. I put about 50 miles on it so far today with no issues.

:pics-stfu::laughing1:

Cattivo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright guys, so the auto-leveling shocks finally gave out on my 2000 yukon xl and I've been wanting to try out the level/lift stance people are running with here on the forums.

So from what I've read all I would need is a set of torsion keys, bilsteins 5100s, moog springs, and spring spacers? I've also heard you may need to change both front and rear sway links.

By doing all of this what problems will i be running into? Do i expect the front end of my yukon to ware out quicker? I've read some forums about how some people never had any issues with the suspension or steering as long as you dont maxout the keys and get longer shocks. Then others say its a constant problem one after another to just go with a lift kit.

I would appreciate any opinion or personal experience about this before I start buying parts and trying it out.

I just installed the 5100's and moog springs the other day, it handles 100x better than it did before, the steering feels perfect...just make sure you get a wheel alignment. My Tahoe is also leveled with 1.5'' rear spring spacers, front/rear shock extenders, new keys and I also replaced the rear links. I went with 33'' mickey thompson baja mtz tires and there's no rubbing after some minor trimming

It's been leveled since January and I can honestly say I don't regret it whatsoever...although I may go with a 6'' lift kit next.

RS6.jpg RB6.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

KonXL

Reaction score

Thanks for the reply brother. I'm just trying to get as much info as I can before I start building.

OP
OP
K

KonXL

Reaction score
I just installed the 5100's and moog springs the other day, it handles 100x better than it did before, the steering feels perfect...just make sure you get a wheel alignment. My Tahoe is also leveled with 1.5'' rear spring spacers, front/rear shock extenders, new keys and I also replaced the rear links. I went with 33'' mickey thompson baja mtz tires and there's no rubbing after some minor trimming

It's been leveled since January and I can honestly say I don't regret it whatsoever...although I may go with a 6'' lift kit next.

View attachment 182754 View attachment 182755

Awesome!!! I want to eventually do a 6inch lift but for now I'm on a budget and gonna something small. I also want to run some 20s

Chubbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So long as you do all of the replacements yourself, 90% of the money will be in tires/wheels/mount/balance/alignment. But I think you are correct: a 3" key in front torqued up about halfway and the Bilstein 5100 shock stroked up for 2.5 of lift and you will be content as the halfshafts/steering linkage will not be inappropriate. The a$$ end will be done right with z71 stock springs, 5100 shock, 1 or 1.5" spacer & extended links. cattivo knows the formula. If you get to the point of needing extended links in the front you are probably higher than it should be.

in the end, you may find that some modification will be needed for the "jounce" on the front control arm. there are some recent threads in this forum regarding that aspect.

instead of going 6" suspension lift, I'm going to front coilovers. After seeing the conversion, I don't know if I can live without it. 33s with coilovers up front will be more common than 3" lift keys pretty soon.

Chubbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome!!! I want to eventually do a 6inch lift but for now I'm on a budget and gonna something small. I also want to run some 20s

BTW, I have 20s with 265/75 and they fit well with the keys & shock extenders up front. That's all I've done so far. the truck looks 10x better with the front end lifted up only 2". I ordered the parts on eBay for $50 and installed it in front of my apartment building in 2 hours 1 Sat morning before the staff came in.

I found that I do have the tiniest bit of rubbing when in Reverse, wheels at full tilt, i.e. Backing out of my parking spot but that's really the only instance.

Word of advice is to check the torsion bar cross-member bushings & replace those when you do the keys. I started getting a loud bang underneath shortly after the install because those isolators needed R&R. I didn't know it at the time & took me 2-weeks to find the offending culprit.
Now I have to go back in there and fix that on the weekend and really not looking forward to it.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645