The OFFICIAL 2015 Tahoe unveiling thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

edgaranah1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How did you get an interior view of a vehicle that was walled off?

They had a silver xl that one could actually get into. Was pretty damn sexy if u ask me.

---------- Post added at 08:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 AM ----------

3FDA69EF-4E21-4973-98B9-67382DB40710.jpg
This was the xl

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Btw, just so you guys know what to expect with these fold flat 3rd row seats.

There's really only one way for GM to achieve that whilst keeping the SRA, and that is to make them slightly thinner and to raise the floor around them so that they appear flat ... but the result of this is that you get a lot less overall room because of the higher floor.

For example, with my third row out on my Esky and the captain's chairs up, I now have waaaay more cargo volume than I will have on the new gen SWB Esky with all seats flat. At least that's what it looked like to me when I saw these up close at SEMA.

So in effect they're not really 3rd row fold flat seats at all, they're just higher floored trucks to fill in the space around folded seats.

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Serge, I get what you're saying, and agree since seeing the pics of the rear storage box in the floor. I love the concept of that box and don't mind the floor being that high. I have some uses planned for that box.

The box is nice, but it's basically the same thing as having a box behind the current 3rd row seats. The only space that is really gained between having the current 3rd row in and the 'fold flat' ones is the slight difference between the seat thickness and the space the current removable rail system takes. That probably accounts for 4"/5" I would guess.

Without looking at the exact drawings of both trucks I would guess that 4"/5" is also about what is lost in overall height from the 2nd row seats to the tailgate between the new 'fold flat' configuration and the old configuration with the seats off.

Again, all of this simply means that GM's fold flat 3rd row is really more of a design trick that sacrifices volume from the current gen to get achieved.

The only reason it really struck me is because when we came down South, we stored all our furniture in DC and only brought short term necessities until we found a home. It was all packed in rubbermaid containers:

photo_zps9998d54a.gif

That was about half way done ... by the time I was done I had but an inch to spare at the top and the front seat was full, so basically I used up every available cargo volume space. If I had the SWB Esky I simply wouldn't have been able to carry everything. That said, I guess such circumstances are rare for most users ... but then again there have been a few trips back from furniture or big box stores where every inch counted, especially when trying to get stuff through the back opening (gigitty).

I think some folks are going to curse the fact that they don't have the option to have maximum space, but that most folks will gladly give that up for the fold flat option.