Tahoe Customization and Hybrid Resurrection

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

T3xasR3dRum

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey there, fellow Tahoe enthusiasts! I'm Aaron and I'm thrilled to be a part of this incredible Tahoe Forum. As a lifelong fan of Tahoes and a seasoned mechanic, I hope to bring a unique perspective and a wealth of experience to the community.

I hail from the beautiful city of Frisco, Texas, where my passion for Tahoes took root. Since day one, these powerful and versatile SUVs have captured my heart, and I've made it a point to own nothing but Tahoes throughout my life. Being a mechanic by trade has only deepened my connection to these vehicles, allowing me to fully immerse myself in their intricacies and discover new ways to enhance their performance.

One of my most noteworthy Tahoe projects was my 2007 Tahoe LT. I poured my heart and soul into transforming it into a true powerhouse. With extensive modifications such as upgraded transmission tuning, suspension enhancements, and a custom dual exhaust system, I aimed to unlock the full potential of my Tahoe.

Here is a list of a few mods I had on my 2007 5.3 Liter.

1. 2017 GMC Yukon Denali XL 4x4 rear axle 3.73 gears.

2. Custom Drive shaft 1410 Dani u joints.

3. Stock Transmission tune with Trinity 2 EX from 3.42 ratio to 3.73 ratio

4. Belltech Front And Rear Complete Kit W/ Street Performance Shocks Part #: 736SP

5. Belltech 1 3/8" / 35mm Front Anti-Sway Bar w/ Hardware Part # 5407

6. Spohn Performance GMSUV-07-202 Boxed Rear Lower Control Arms

7. 305/45/22 Rims and Tires

8. 2007–2015 Avalanche, Tahoe and Suburban Rear Hardware Kit (used with lowered coil springs) RK2007

9. Air Lift 60769 - Air Lift 1000 Load Assist Rear Spring Kits

10. Air Lift 25804 - Air Lift On-Board Vehicle Air Compressors

11. Borgeson Universal 000937 - Borgeson Universal Telescoping Steering Shafts

12. Dual Exshaust and a Volant cold air intake.

The pride I felt in the finished product was unmatched.

However, my journey didn't end there. Fate had a surprise in store for me when I stumbled upon a 2009 Tahoe Hybrid that had been sitting idle in a garage for over four years. Initially considering it as a part-out opportunity, destiny intervened, and I discovered a simple safety sensor issue that prevented it from running. Through my resourcefulness and utilizing my ALLDATA program, I successfully diagnosed and fixed the problem, resurrecting the hybrid Tahoe. It was a pivotal moment, and I decided to give this neglected gem the attention it deserved.

Since then, I've turned the 2009 Tahoe Hybrid into a true beast on and off the road. With a 4-inch lift kit, beefy 285/75/18 tires, and a meticulously fine-tuned sound system, volant Cold Air intake it's become a personalized testament to my love for customization. Of course, there are unique challenges with the hybrid model, such as the speed limiter and hesitation on takeoff, but I remain determined to conquer them and maximize the vehicle's potential.

For me, being a part of a community of like-minded Tahoe enthusiasts is what truly makes this journey worthwhile. Connecting with fellow enthusiasts, sharing stories, and exchanging knowledge and insights is something I'm passionate about. I'm eager to contribute, lend a helping hand, and learn from all of you.

I'm excited to embark on this Tahoe adventure together, sharing our experiences, discussing modifications, and reveling in the joy of owning these remarkable SUVs. So, let's rev up those engines, dive into engaging conversations, and make lasting connections within this incredible Tahoe Forum!
IMG-0444.jpg101233451_3463298370364106_2145578692565270528_n.jpgIMG-0146.jpg IMG-0382.jpg

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Welcome from NJ. Your 07 looks great! I've never heard or seen anyone modify a hybrid. Good luck with your endeavor. I'm not too familiar with hybrids, but I do know they have weight saving in them, like an aluminum hood, aluminum seat frames, and no roof rack. All that weight savings adds up. I can't wait to see what you do.

GMCnewbee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome from Orlando! One of our son's lives in L.A. and he has a hybrid Yukon. I know very little about it so I will be interested in hearing about yours and maybe send him some tips. Enjoy!

OP
OP
T3xasR3dRum

T3xasR3dRum

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The Hybrid is a highly underestimated SUV, as its engineering was slightly ahead of its time. These vehicles are built like tanks, equipped with the powerful 6.0 engine, and don't suffer from the common issues found in the 3rd and 4th gears of the 4L60-E transmission. Instead, they feature a modified version of the Diesel Duramax Allison Transmission, making them 4x4, which is an impressive engineering feat.

Unfortunately, the technology for batteries wasn't as advanced back then, resulting in these trucks receiving unfavorable reviews and struggling to gain popularity. However, my encounter with this Hybrid was purely by luck. I was searching for a black interior for my 07 5.3 Tahoe when I came across a post on Facebook. I contacted the seller about purchasing the seats and center console for $200. To my surprise, he offered me the entire truck for just $1,000. While initially hesitant due to financial constraints, I decided to take on the challenge.

The truck had been sitting idle for over 4 years, and according to dealership paperwork, it was deemed unusable and in need of a new engine and hybrid system. However, my expertise as a mechanic and access to the ALLDATA program allowed me to thoroughly research the issue. It turned out to be a safety sensor on the hybrid box causing the problem. With that resolved, the truck started up and ran perfectly. I eventually replaced the hybrid battery with a $3,000 lifetime warranty option that can be transferred to new owners.

Now, after almost a year of driving, I can confidently say that this Hybrid is the best Tahoe I have ever owned.

Of course despite its initial setbacks and underestimated reputation, this Hybrid Tahoe has proven to be a remarkable vehicle. Its resilience and unique features have captured my admiration, making it an unparalleled driving experience. With further modifications and some final adjustments, I believe this Hybrid will continue to exceed expectations on the road.

:2cents:"Why do I feel as if I just made the best damn review you will ever see about the Hybrid Tahoe.":2cents:

OP
OP
T3xasR3dRum

T3xasR3dRum

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome from Orlando! One of our son's lives in L.A. and he has a hybrid Yukon. I know very little about it so I will be interested in hearing about yours and maybe send him some tips. Enjoy!
Yes, indeed! The price tag on these vehicles is quite substantial, but it's justified considering the incredible experience they offer. Sitting inside a Hybrid Tahoe feels like being in the cockpit of a spaceship, with all the advanced features and technology at your fingertips.

Now, let me share some insider information about the 6.2-liter engines. If you ever encounter an issue where the engine throws P0300 misfire codes and a repair shop suggests replacing the entire engine, I recommend considering an alternative approach. It's worth having them inspect the valve springs first. There have been cases where the valve spring has unexpectedly snapped in half, causing the misfire. I can even provide photos to illustrate two recent instances where this occurred.

Fortunately, there's a relatively simple fix for this issue. By using compressed air and a specific technique, it's possible to hold the valve in place through the spark plug socket of the affected cylinder. This allows for the replacement of the broken spring without the need to remove the entire head. It's a cost-effective solution that can save you from the expense and hassle of replacing the entire engine.

Knowing about this valve spring issue can be helpful and potentially save you from major repairs and expenses. So, if you experience any problems with your 6.2-liter engine, it's worth exploring this valve spring inspection and replacement method before considering more drastic measures.

I just wanted to share that with you!

Attachments

• imageedit_0_8851526572.png
    imageedit_0_8851526572.png
    2 MB · Views: 9
  • imageedit_4_2342050107.png
    imageedit_4_2342050107.png
    2 MB · Views: 9
OP
OP
T3xasR3dRum

T3xasR3dRum

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to this great forum.
Hey there! I just wanted to share some exciting details about my upgraded sound system for my Tahoe. I have a real passion for music, so I went all out with this build, maybe even a bit over the top. Let me walk you through it!

First things first, I completely gutted the Tahoe and added three layers of sound-dampening material all over - doors, rear lift gate, hood, and firewall. This made a huge difference in creating a quieter and more controlled environment for the audio.

I didn't stop there. I removed the GM Bose Factory system, which honestly had those underwhelming paper-backed 6.5-inch speakers. I wanted a significant upgrade, so I went for it!

To power everything effectively, I ran 1 AWG power and ground wires, along with 12-gauge speaker wires. This ensures that I'm getting the necessary power without any loss in audio quality.

The heart of the system is the Kenwood Excelon DMX809S head unit. It's like the command center for my audio setup, offering advanced features and a seamless user experience.

For the front doors, I chose the Focal PS 165 FE component speakers known for their exceptional sound reproduction. Now, here's the interesting part - I decided not to use the crossovers. I'll explain why in a bit.

To take things to the next level, I incorporated the JL Audio VX600/6i, a digital sound processor (DSP) that allows me to go active and fine-tune each speaker individually. Trust me, the clarity and quality of sound with this addition are out of this world!

And of course, I couldn't forget about the bass. I installed two Kicker Q-Class 42CWQ122 12-inch subwoofers in a custom ported box. The deep, powerful bass that they produce is simply amazing!

To amplify those subwoofers, I went with the JL Audio RD1500/1 mono subwoofer amplifier. It's a beast, delivering a whopping 1,500 watts RMS at 2 ohms. Paired with the DSP's time alignment features, it takes the sound experience to another level.

Oh, and let's not overlook the rear door speakers. I added the Focal PC 165 SF 6.5-inch 2-ways to ensure a consistent and immersive soundstage throughout the Tahoe.

I did the installation myself, which was a fun challenge. However, I knew I needed professional help to fine-tune and time-align the system perfectly.

Now, with everything dialed in, every note, lyric, or sound hits my ears from every single speaker at the same exact time. It's an audio experience like no other!

I hope you enjoyed hearing about my upgraded sound system. It truly elevates my love for music and makes every drive in my Tahoe a fantastic one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts