The Mystery of the heated seat issue has been solved

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jonrobinson84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am thinking about using an aftermarket heating element and retaining the stock controls portion. I know that the stocks had problems and do not want to go back down that road. Also they are 1/4 the price.

Z71Tahoe2004

Reaction score
I'm about to take on the project of installing heated seats in my 2004 Tahoe. Heated seats didn't come with the vehicle, but after some research and looking into availability of the parts to make it work, it seems do-able. Wanted to check with y'all to see if anyone has any experience with this or any cautionary tales. Or anyone who's tried it and knows it won't work.

+ I can install a heated seat switch in my driver and passenger doors and connect it to the main power switch (locks, windows, etc) in the door handles. Looks like that will run power and signal from the BCM to the heated seat switch.

+ It looks like I need to get a heater control module to install under the driver's seat. From what I can tell, that'll control the passenger side heated seat (via a cable to the passenger door switch and seat), and will also need to run to the BCM. It's this last part that I'm not certain about and can't find any diagrams or videos. Presuming there's a separate cable that runs from the heater control module to the BCM, or does the heater control module act as a hub between the BCM and ALL the electronics in the seat?

Not sure if I'm missing anything. Any help or insight from those who might have worked with the whole heated seat rig, from seats to doors to BCM, would be appreciated! I'd like to avoid pulling the seats apart and then finding out I lack the required equipment.

Thanks!

ggebhard

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
OK I think I have finally solved the issue of why we ALl seem to have problems with the heated seats switching off.

It is the heat element pad thats directly under the cushion and here is how to fix it cheaply!

First you have to unscrew the 5 screws on the seat controls and then disconnect the 2 block connectors behind it.

picture.php

Then the leather cushion is attached by a white plastic channel that goes around the entire cushion.
Just pull it down and release the cushion from the channel

Then pull up the leather cushion cover which is held on with velcro.
Directly underneath the cushion you will see the heating element

picture.php

By now you can see the burnt parts of the element where the wires shorted out.
Slowly and carefully start to pull the element from the cushion going from the front of the seat to the back.

Be careful because the 2 wired that connect to the element are at the back of the cushion nearest to the center console. Directly under the label

picture.php

You then should cut the wires that run down the side of the element but leave yourself enough wire to connect to the new element when you get it.
As you can see the element is burnt out and as it connects to the passenger seat when it shorts out it knocks off the passenger side.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

So there is the part number and if you order from Chevy it will cost about $77 for the part.
Once you get the replacement just put back onto the cushion, connect the wired and replace the cushion.
Pull plastic back onto the metal track around the seat, reconnect the 2 block seat control connectors and screw the 5 screws back into the seat control plate and your DONE!!

GM Part Number is 88940288

Good Luck

The dealer quoted me $675 to fix this so you can do it your self for a fraction of the cost.
Hi, I read in the Tahoe/Yukon forum from 2010 that you solved your heated seat problem. Could you help me with mine. 2003 Yukon Denali. The passenger heated seat works, but the driver’s doesn’t. I replaced the heating element as you described and put in a new seat cushion. The element was badly burned!! Please note that I didn’t replace the element in the back of the seat, even though it doesn’t work either. Once fixed, when I hit the switch, the switch lights up, but then shortly afterwards, it shuts off, UNLESS I move the seat back and forth. As long as I’m moving the seat, back and forth, the heating element works, but as soon as I let go of the knob to move the seat, the element stops heating and the lights go out in the switch. One GMC dealer scanned my car and said that the old cushions have gotten too thin, therefore the heat signal isn’t reading correctly, but he didn’t respond when I told him the all the other 3 heated seats work. It’s only the driver seat that doesn’t and I put a new cushion on the driver side. He quoted a price of $900. Do you think it could be because I didn’t change the heat element in the back of the seat? What are your thoughts. Is this anyway connect to the BCM, because I think I need it replaced, because I have other issues with with sensors etc.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hi, I read in the Tahoe/Yukon forum from 2010 that you solved your heated seat problem. Could you help me with mine. 2003 Yukon Denali. The passenger heated seat works, but the driver’s doesn’t. I replaced the heating element as you described and put in a new seat cushion. The element was badly burned!! Please note that I didn’t replace the element in the back of the seat, even though it doesn’t work either. Once fixed, when I hit the switch, the switch lights up, but then shortly afterwards, it shuts off, UNLESS I move the seat back and forth. As long as I’m moving the seat, back and forth, the heating element works, but as soon as I let go of the knob to move the seat, the element stops heating and the lights go out in the switch. One GMC dealer scanned my car and said that the old cushions have gotten too thin, therefore the heat signal isn’t reading correctly, but he didn’t respond when I told him the all the other 3 heated seats work. It’s only the driver seat that doesn’t and I put a new cushion on the driver side. He quoted a price of $900. Do you think it could be because I didn’t change the heat element in the back of the seat? What are your thoughts. Is this anyway connect to the BCM, because I think I need it replaced, because I have other issues with with sensors etc.

I wouldn't expect an answer. The OP hasn't been on here in over 11 years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n