The Mystery of the heated seat issue has been solved

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jdpromo33

Proud Tahoe Owner
Reaction score
OK I think I have finally solved the issue of why we ALl seem to have problems with the heated seats switching off.

It is the heat element pad thats directly under the cushion and here is how to fix it cheaply!

First you have to unscrew the 5 screws on the seat controls and then disconnect the 2 block connectors behind it.

picture.php

Then the leather cushion is attached by a white plastic channel that goes around the entire cushion.
Just pull it down and release the cushion from the channel

Then pull up the leather cushion cover which is held on with velcro.
Directly underneath the cushion you will see the heating element

picture.php

By now you can see the burnt parts of the element where the wires shorted out.
Slowly and carefully start to pull the element from the cushion going from the front of the seat to the back.

Be careful because the 2 wired that connect to the element are at the back of the cushion nearest to the center console. Directly under the label

picture.php

You then should cut the wires that run down the side of the element but leave yourself enough wire to connect to the new element when you get it.
As you can see the element is burnt out and as it connects to the passenger seat when it shorts out it knocks off the passenger side.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

So there is the part number and if you order from Chevy it will cost about $77 for the part.
Once you get the replacement just put back onto the cushion, connect the wired and replace the cushion.
Pull plastic back onto the metal track around the seat, reconnect the 2 block seat control connectors and screw the 5 screws back into the seat control plate and your DONE!!

GM Part Number is 88940288

Good Luck

The dealer quoted me $675 to fix this so you can do it your self for a fraction of the cost.

Last edited:

highrollin113

Undercover
Reaction score
hey so after months of putting it off i finally did this, and well im a little disappointed my heat pad is fine, lol, i know that doesne make sense but im still confused as what to do, my seats work until i move the driver seat to far back, and the last position i can keep it working isnt the most comfortable, does anyone have any other ideas?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aray1288