The Bose add an amp nightmare

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree, they sound great. The problem with Bise is they intentionally design their systems to be incompatible with anything else. Another issue, is that UNLIKE reputable audio equipment manufacturers, they don't publish any specs od their equipment, such as amp, OHM or hz or the level of output signal.
that stems from Bose having a very very long history of keeping there trademark sound secret, besides most specs you see for other audio equipment are fake anyway or are only "peak" levels, a 1000w amp is not 1000 watt's, it might make 1000 watts for a split second-maybe
I have the same system in my yukon denali, I upgraded the head unit to a pioneer nex with wireless android, maestro rr interface, added a amp and subs, disabled the bose anc and it sounds pretty good. I would have to spend another couple thousand to make it sound any better

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if the later models of Bose sucked. I can't claim to be an all-out audiophile, but I have an ear for clean and balanced sound. I always thought the Bose in my '08 sounded pretty good for what it was. I knew it could be better suited to my tastes and swapping in an HU with a 13-band EQ and more low-level power did it for me. Adding and controlling a sub was easy since I had RCAs on the HU.
it sucked on my 18 silverado, the wifes 16 suburban is not too bad we added a lc2 and a amp and subs and it sounds better, a lc3 or a pro model would probably make it little bit better but been spending money on xmas...

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree, they sound great. The problem with Bise is they intentionally design their systems to be incompatible with anything else. Another issue, is that UNLIKE reputable audio equipment manufacturers, they don't publish any specs od their equipment, such as amp, OHM or hz or the level of output signal.

I don't think any car manufacturer designs their cars with the purpose to be modified at such an intimate level. GM partnered with Bose for the audio who I'm sure also never put the first thought into how they could make it easy to be modified. The Bose speakers were designed to work as a system with a specific amp and in a particular vehicular environment. Proprietary, not top secret.

Mercedes, Tesla... Hell, even NASA design systems that average Joes wouldn't be able to modify with no adverse repercussions. I'm 100% certain the reason has nothing to do with making those Joes' lives more difficult.

To further piss on your parade, if you're getting your sub signal from the wires that go to the factory sub, you might have less-than-stellar results. That signal is optimized for that small sub and is actively modified while playing. It might not work so well for a larger amplified sub. You really need a full-range signal going to the amp and let the crossover on the amp do the filtering. Or, maybe it'll sound just fine to you. It only matters to your ears and there's only one way to find out.

Last edited:

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did say that I would "respectfully shut my yap" on this thread, but @iamdub comments above are spot on. Tapping into the Bose sub input signals to power another sub amplifier and associated sub-woofer would be a piss poor idea.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Multimeters are $15. If you’re going to work on electrical, you’re an idiot for not buying one before you come onto a public forum and sound like an idiot. Thats all I have to say. I really can’t believe anyone would want to help after reading that first post. Jeezus. Made me feel angry. Such disrespect. :(

Macks2DrTahoe

Reaction score
OK Big2014Baby here is the solution to your audio issue.

:superhack:

You sound like a person who can follow the instructions and be up and running in about 2-4 hours.

This beats chasing electrons and has RCA outputs to connect to your sub amp.

I put the 2020 version (8 inch screen) in my 2010 Acadia and the 2022 version (10 inch screen) in my 2015 Silverado. No issues with either so far.

The Acadia had the Bose system so I just ran speaker wires from the HU to the speakers. RCA to a powered sub (Acadia was the wife's ride). Took me about 2 hours. Back Up Camera took about another hour.

The Silverado was basically plug and play. Took out the radio and replaced it with the android HU.

Good luck! Take and post pics. Let us know hows it going/goes.

Lots of great info and interesting folks on this forum.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!:thumbsup:

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am hoping the OP finishes his original plan, because I'm curious how good/bad it can sound!

What everyone seems to be saying is, "you can't add an aftermarket sub/amp to the stock bose system, it won't sound right" ?
I know the speakers have different impedances, but that shouldn't affect the line out signal..
If the sub output from headunit was shaped, you could maybe tap into the regular speaker outputs? (which may be tweaked worse for a sub...)
If the stock headunit output is tweaked so much that bass suffers from all outputs, then I guess you're SOL. (that maybe the case based on all the feedback)

An ugly option might be to use the headphone jack? (ASSUMING that shouldn't be shaped!)

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am hoping the OP finishes his original plan, because I'm curious how good/bad it can sound!

What everyone seems to be saying is, "you can't add an aftermarket sub/amp to the stock bose system, it won't sound right" ?
I know the speakers have different impedances, but that shouldn't affect the line out signal..
If the sub output from headunit was shaped, you could maybe tap into the regular speaker outputs? (which may be tweaked worse for a sub...)
If the stock headunit output is tweaked so much that bass suffers from all outputs, then I guess you're SOL. (that maybe the case based on all the feedback)

An ugly option might be to use the headphone jack? (ASSUMING that shouldn't be shaped!)
that's why you need a bass module to at least attempt to make it sound decent, even then it's not quite right but is good enough without changing out the headunit.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don’t believe there is a line out signal to the Bose amp, at least not one that can be used without some sort of converter since Bose uses proprietary systems that don’t always work well with others, like aftermarket stuff does. Thus why most people swap out the head unit. Not only do you get cleaner and more bass, but you gain a lot of adjustability with a dedicated sub out signal. It just sounds so much better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meandmyhoe20