Bose --> Everything New. Bypass Needed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1992rs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So Im probably overthinking this and I hate to ask on such a covered topic but I've gone through several pages and I still am confused. I'm building a system for my 02 Denali that will comprise of:
- Aftermarket HU with 3 sets of Pre-outs
- 4 Channel Amp
- Mono Amp
- Sub and box
- New Component speakers
- New Wiring

My goal is to remove all the factory bose stuff. Speakers, amp, sub, wiring everything. It would bug me knowing theres redundant wiring in my vehicle thats not even needed, so as much as I can possibly remove without hacking and cutting up too many wires. I keep reading about the bose bypass but I see different threads about
- re-pinning two cheap "incorrect" metra harness
- a $49.99 correct metra harness
- or if you scrap the whole system you only needed a $9.99 harness, which I already have from my camaro's system.

I've also read theres a hidden connector that connects to the headunit, all the bose stuff and when you remove that you can pull out all the bose wiring and use that cheap $9.99 harness that I talked about earlier, which makes the most sense to me for my goals. I haven't dug into my dash to see if theres any validity to it because its been to cold to screw around lol If it makes any difference, Im using the PAC ROEM-21A right now but would prefer not to use it since its so bulky and space is tight.

I've done systems before but on old ass basic cars and the bose is throwing me for a loop. I'm the type of person that likes to have a plan and understand the systems of what I'm doing before I start ripping shit out. So my question to people that have gone this route is how did you do it?

Also if anyone could post a link or info to get wiring schematics for the various systems for our vehicles that would be mucho appreciated.

02_Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So Im probably overthinking this and I hate to ask on such a covered topic but I've gone through several pages and I still am confused. I'm building a system for my 02 Denali that will comprise of:
- Aftermarket HU with 3 sets of Pre-outs
- 4 Channel Amp
- Mono Amp
- Sub and box
- New Component speakers
- New Wiring

My goal is to remove all the factory bose stuff. Speakers, amp, sub, wiring everything. It would bug me knowing theres redundant wiring in my vehicle thats not even needed, so as much as I can possibly remove without hacking and cutting up too many wires. I keep reading about the bose bypass but I see different threads about
- re-pinning two cheap "incorrect" metra harness
- a $49.99 correct metra harness
- or if you scrap the whole system you only needed a $9.99 harness, which I already have from my camaro's system.

I've also read theres a hidden connector that connects to the headunit, all the bose stuff and when you remove that you can pull out all the bose wiring and use that cheap $9.99 harness that I talked about earlier, which makes the most sense to me for my goals. I haven't dug into my dash to see if theres any validity to it because its been to cold to screw around lol If it makes any difference, Im using the PAC ROEM-21A right now but would prefer not to use it since its so bulky and space is tight.

I've done systems before but on old ass basic cars and the bose is throwing me for a loop. I'm the type of person that likes to have a plan and understand the systems of what I'm doing before I start ripping shit out. So my question to people that have gone this route is how did you do it?

Also if anyone could post a link or info to get wiring schematics for the various systems for our vehicles that would be mucho appreciated.
I can't really help you because mine doesn't have bose, but if you have a 4 channel amp I'm assuming it's going to power the door speakers and the mono amp for the subs, so why would you need to bypass the bose stuff, id just disconnect all of the factory shit because you're basically replacing everything

OP
OP
1992rs

1992rs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't really help you because mine doesn't have bose, but if you have a 4 channel amp I'm assuming it's going to power the door speakers and the mono amp for the subs, so why would you need to bypass the bose stuff, id just disconnect all of the factory shit because you're basically replacing everything
That's where I start to get lost. When all the Bose stuff is gone, do you still use the same connector that I originally plugged in to the headunit and use one of the cheap generic gm harness to wire in the headunit?
Or deep in the dash is there another connector that connects to what essential is the Bose system harness that leads to the amps, speakers and such and when that harness is removed I just plug in that generic gm connector I mentioned above?

I just need to dig into it and see for myself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

roadrash187

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Do you want to keep the door chimes, rap, and onstar?

What kind of amps are you running. Are they actual components, or just new coaxial speakers. Theres a cpl of different ways to wire this up. Just need more information.

The thing I like doin best is removing the entire dash piece. Takes about two minute to do, and it gives you all the room, to tuck away things that would normally get in your way.

OP
OP
1992rs

1992rs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you want to keep the door chimes, rap, and onstar?

What kind of amps are you running. Are they actual components, or just new coaxial speakers. Theres a cpl of different ways to wire this up. Just need more information.

The thing I like doin best is removing the entire dash piece. Takes about two minute to do, and it gives you all the room, to tuck away things that would normally get in your way.
I'm going to be running an old ass Phoenix gold 4 channel to most likely 2-way kappas all around. I haven't decided on a mono. I have a Rockford prime that I'm considering, but it would shut off due to being too hot in my Camaro, so I'm mixed about using it again. I'm unsure yet on what way I'll go for the sub but it'll be around 500rms.

I do want my chimes, but mines an 02 and if I remember correctly there's a black box underneath my dash that controls it and it isn't at all tied to my radio. I don't give a shit about onstar. It doesn't work and I've already deleted my panel. Idk what rap is, unless you're referring to the retained accessory power, then I'm not sure what I loose or gain.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I may not be much help, but keep in mind there's 2 different Bose systems, the "Lux" and the premium. Your Denali has the Lux which from what I've read uses the vehicles data bus system. The amp is a smart amp which utilizes spatial separation to create a 3-d like effect and treble and bass, etc. is also adjusted via the data bus which I believe means you can't just yank out all the wiring without making alot of other stuff stop working. Why don't you do what I did and use a harness to wire the new Hu to the LUX amp and run new satellite speakers off it, then use the sub output off the new HU to a monoblock amp and sub? The LUX amp works great on some decent satellite speakers, just make sure they're 2 ohms. It's plenty powerful to push them hard, it's just the bass that's lacking. You can even get separates with separate crossovers. My system hits hard and sounds great, and still has a surround sound like effect which surprises me at times. I think the hybrid system is the best of both worlds.

OP
OP
1992rs

1992rs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I may not be much help, but keep in mind there's 2 different Bose systems, the "Lux" and the premium. Your Denali has the Lux which from what I've read uses the vehicles data bus system. The amp is a smart amp which utilizes spatial separation to create a 3-d like effect and treble and bass, etc. is also adjusted via the data bus which I believe means you can't just yank out all the wiring without making alot of other stuff stop working. Why don't you do what I did and use a harness to wire the new Hu to the LUX amp and run new satellite speakers off it, then use the sub output off the new HU to a monoblock amp and sub? The LUX amp works great on some decent satellite speakers, just make sure they're 2 ohms. It's plenty powerful to push them hard, it's just the bass that's lacking. You can even get separates with separate crossovers. My system hits hard and sounds great, and still has a surround sound like effect which surprises me at times. I think the hybrid system is the best of both worlds.
Interesting. I just cant imagine GM would completely redesign a whole radio harness and connection just for the bose system knowing how cheap they are and like to recycle parts. I'm not entirely opposed to the bose. I like the sound, except the lack of hard hitting bass. I figured it wouldn't be this difficult to remove the whole bose system from the truck and I already have half of a system from other cars. What is a satellite speaker and how does it differ from normal car audio speakers?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Satellites are all the speakers except the sub. I put all new door speakers but left the Bose rear D pillar speakers because they're an odd size. As far as the Bose amps, I've heard the standard one isn't a great amp but the Lux is.

OP
OP
1992rs

1992rs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Satellites are all the speakers except the sub. I put all new door speakers but left the Bose rear D pillar speakers because they're an odd size. As far as the Bose amps, I've heard the standard one isn't a great amp but the Lux is.
So I can use any speaker I want as long as it's 2ohm? Would you use the passive crossover that comes with the component kit?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DB1337

Latest posts