Bose --> Everything New. Bypass Needed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
1992rs

1992rs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes and yes.
Thanks for the info! I'm going to dig deeper on what it takes, try to find wiring schematics and such. The issue is my alpine hu only allows for the use of the RCA jacks. It doesn't have any wires for speakers in the harness. I really want to use that headunit. It has high pass/low pass crossover filters, bass frequency adjusters and tons of features that a lot of new ones don't have. It was tested by bigdwiz on YouTube to put out over 4 volts at the rca jacks too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In that case it might not work. I've never seen a hu that doesn't have speaker outs. All the Bose harnesses I've seen are for speaker level. Keep us posted on what you find out.

OP
OP
1992rs

1992rs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In that case it might not work. I've never seen a hu that doesn't have speaker outs. All the Bose harnesses I've seen are for speaker level. Keep us posted on what you find out.
Absolutely. I figure this is route is less common on Denalis, due to the Bose sounding pretty good, but I always take the most difficult path lol I know there's a way. I've seen Denalis with massive systems, it's just a matter of how. If it mutilates the wiring harness, I'll just go the route you did.

Cattivo

Full Access Member
Reaction score

roadrash187

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You would pretty much get the aftermarket harness you still need. But instead of the speaker wires going from factory harness to radio harness. You would get rca ends and solder them to the speaker wires, and plug them accordingly into the back of your radio. That way you will still have sound using the factory system, and have all the controls that you like through your aftermarket head unit.

Or you can just get the cheaper harness and wire up everything except the speaker wires. Since youll be running rcas from your head unit to your aftermarket amp.

@Cattivo you can now buy Metras factory radio wiring harnesses. So no more guess work on what is what. just color match and all set.

Last edited:

Cattivo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to rewire the entire truck including the stereo...i already bought a double din hu, Rockford Fosgate front/rear speakers and JL Audio subs

-12 awg front/rear door speaker wire Audiopipe 12 Gauge 100 FT Red Black Car audio Sterep Speaker Wire Zip Cable | eBay

-4 awg amp wire for subs(red & blk)4 GAUGE RED WIRE 25 FT PRIMARY POWER GROUND STRANDED AWG CABLE POSITIVE NEW | eBay

-12 v digital metered distribution blocks for door speakers/ secondary ampGOLD XScorpion Distribution Block and Voltage Meter 12 Volt Car Red LED Display | eBay

-4 awg /100 amp metered distribution block for subs/ primary amp CAR STEREO AUDIO LED DISPLAY BASE ANL FUSE HOLDER 0 2 4 GA 100A - 300A 12V DC | eBay

- double din dash kit to fit it all in nicely Amazon.com: Metra DP-3002B Double DIN Dash Kit for 1999 - 2002 GM Full-Size Trucks/SUV's (Matte Black): Car Electronics

Last edited:
OP
OP
1992rs

1992rs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You would pretty much get the aftermarket harness you still need. But instead of the speaker wires going from factory harness to radio harness. You would get rca ends and solder them to the speaker wires, and plug them accordingly into the back of your radio. That way you will still have sound using the factory system, and have all the controls that you like through your aftermarket head unit.

Or you can just get the cheaper harness and wire up everything except the speaker wires. Since youll be running rcas from your head unit to your aftermarket amp.

@Cattivo you can now buy Metras factory radio wiring harnesses. So no more guess work on what is what. just color match and all set.
That's initially what I thought until I started to overthink it. It sounds like any other aftermarket install with RCA cables

Just to clarify, with the Bose system all removed, I will still use the same connector behind my factory radio to connect the cheaper aftermarket harness to except for the speakers since I'll be using the rca cables?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can't just wire speaker level inputs to RCA inputs. RCA is low level (preamp) and speaker level is high level ( amplified). If you wire an RCA output into an amp input that needs speaker lever you won't get any sound out of it. There might be converters available. I know they make them to convert speaker level to RCA preamp level but I'm unsure about the opposite.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In case I wasn't clear, DO NOT solder RCA ends onto speaker wires unless you want to blow something up. The inputs are not compatible. @roadrash187 if you don't know what you're talking about, I suggest you don't advise people. I used to install car audio, and I've never heard of anyone suggest that.

roadrash187

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well I thought I read that he wasnt going to use the factory bose amp correct? But that he liked the way the factory speakers sounded. SO he would have to worry bout high level/low level inputs then. Since he wants more control, that the aftermarket head unit provides. By all means @redrocket have at it. Ill make sure not to post again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ColonelAngus918

Latest posts