SOLVED - Clockspring replaced, now no steering controls

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
The first thing I thought of was a fuse. I know GM used an inline fuse on 07 & 08 trucks for the heated steering wheel.

Apparently they also used an inline, shrink wrapped fuse on the 05 & 06 trucks. They may have carried this into 07 too.

OP
OP
Kapitein

Kapitein

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you find any hidden fuses?
I didn't have time to take the wheel off again and open the dash yet.....

I did discover one fuse in the drivers side panel for the steering controls backlights.... This fuse was OK.

Will report back when I find the time to delve deeper again :)

OP
OP
Kapitein

Kapitein

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have been back through the install today, took everyting to pieces and re-assembled. Good new is I am a clockspring remover Pro now :)

Still no dice with the steering controls though :( No breaks in the wiring found, plus no in-line fuses as far as I can see.

So ive bitten the bullet and ordered (the last) OEM GM clockspring from Rockauto. Nearly $300 with taxes and shipping to Europe, so I really hope it works.

Google has led me to find that there are apparently 4 different versions of the clockspring, the only difference being on the pin-outs. I wonder if Ive been sold the wrong one.

Hope to have the GM spring on this weekend, will report back.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Who would of thought this would be an issue. I wonder if it’s a voltage resistance variation between the different part #’s.

OP
OP
Kapitein

Kapitein

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This gets stupider and stupider.

Opened the box for the GM part and the orange retaining clip was broken off. Meaning the clockspring had been free to rotate.

I fitted it anyway hoping that the part would be OK..... it isnt.

Immediate airbag light.

However the steering wheel controls work again! Which confirms the first part as either defective or incorrect.

Ive emailed Rockauto, im hoping they will be helpful.

Im getting annoyed! I can now do a complete clockspring replacement within 25 mins start to finish :)

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
This is just bat ship crazy. If you need any other parts from them maybe they’ll ship em for free

OP
OP
Kapitein

Kapitein

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3rd times a charm! Its fixed.

This time I opted for the SMP CSP313.

I now have the GOAT dashbaord back :) No airbag light and working steering wheel controls. This being the 4th time ive done the clockspring, it took me only 20mins from start to finish :)

Rockauto agreed to take the first 2 parts back - originally stating that they would deduct almost $100 from the refund for the return shipping! When I argued that fact they said they would provide a full refund.

All is well that ends well.

ADVICE FOR FUTURE READERS - Avoid the cheap SKG part as you run the risk of having an incorrect pin out. The SMP part looked to be just as good as the ACDELCO and was made in Mexico rather than China if that counts for anything.20240428_134121.jpg

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Rock Auto came through. Good to hear and hopefully they’ll get together with the vendors to demand an update of their compatibility charts.

Call it a win and edit your title to add the word RESOLVED or FIXED.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ojb226

Latest posts