Rocket Man's 2008 Bagged CC Silverado Build AKA "THE MACHINE"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I decided to go look at live data and mess with the IAT sensor. It didn't take me but a minute to decide it was a bad sensor; it read 220 degrees when the truck was cold. I checked the wiring, then unplugged it and it went to -30 like it's supposed to. Went inside and ordered a new sensor. Then I decided to double-check that it was the sensor and the guide I was looking at said to test between pins 1-2 and it has resistance values for temperatures and the sensor showed 120 ohms which meant it should read 220 degrees which it did but it was inside my house and it was 68 not 220 lol. I pulled it out of the housing and there it is- a fried sensor. The thermistor is definitely bad. It's that little crispy black thing that directly connects to the 2 pins.

View attachment 193386 View attachment 193387
Little by little you're fixing her up. Amazing how this guy spent so much money and time on it, but neglected all the little, but important stuff. People never cease to amaze me.

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good find on that IAT sensor. Fixing that alone should net some power even with a stock tune.
I'm thinking so too. It was just under the threshold for throwing a code but it couldn't have been running right, thinking it was sucking in 220-240 degree air all the time. Anyway, I ordered a new MAF/IAT from Amazon Prime for $51 which usually gets to me in a couple days but I failed to notice it stated it usually ships in 5-7 days. I had checked prices everywhere before ordering and saw my local O'Reilly's had it for the outrageous sum of $85. I really want to see what the tune does for the truck and didn't want to wait 2 weeks before I could send a data log to BB so....I bought one from O'Reilly's and when the Amazon one comes, I'll take that back to O'Reilly's for the refund. $31 over what Amazon will sell me one shipped? I don't think so. What a ripoff. This way I got the part immediately and at Amazon's price. Now I can send a data log this weekend so BB can get me a tune early next week. Win/win.

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just replaced the MAF/IAT and checked the temps with my Tech 2. At 40 outside, it showed 45 on a cold start and after the truck was fully warmed up it showed 50 for IAT. Went out and collected a 25-minute data log and sent it off to Justin. I should have my tune soon. The truck did feel a little stronger since it didn't think it was pulling superheated air in.

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got a couple clips in for the hood front trim today. Every time I opened the hood the trim would move away from the hood about 1/4" at the center because it was missing clips. It's the little things sometimes. The PO had left a ton of stuff that needs attention after the painters had torn the truck apart. Anyway it's nice and tight now.

IMG_7807.JPG

IMG_7807.JPG IMG_7810.JPG IMG_7809.JPG

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I decided to call the dealer to check on the hood blanket and after 15 minutes of telling me they had no info on me or the part they finally said "it's here". Idiots. It seems to happen everytime I order from them. Anyway, I got it installed. Slowly the engine compartment is coming along. I didn't like the size of the clips I had received so I ordered the big ones like The Beast has. I don't want this thing moving around, it cost way too much. But it sure makes the hood look better.IMG_7814.JPG

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Today I also wired in a new connector for the steering position sensor. I have a DTC C0455 symptom 0, front steering position circuit and according to alldata this will also disable traction control and stabilitrack which I am experiencing. There is a TSB stating they have a problem with corrosion in the connector and before changing the sensor, replace the connector. It didn't work. The Tech 2 shows a position of -232 degrees and it doesn't change when I turn the wheel. I followed the diagnostic steps at alldata and it looks like the sensor itself is bad which is a bummer because I need to pull the steering column to change it. Another project. Sensor ordered.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Theres no lift strut on that hood? Its a prop rod? I think i might have known that but maybe im making it up....

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Theres no lift strut on that hood? Its a prop rod? I think i might have known that but maybe im making it up....
There's no room for the original springs or even the gas shock mod with the tubs. The firewall is tubbed too so it will fit 28's. If you look, you can see they come all the way up to the bottom of the hood where it sits down at the edges where the gas shocks would go. It didn't even have a stick when I bought it. I asked All Star if there was any particular prop rod that works and they say most guys just use a prop stick. I decided a Jeep prop rod would work and it does, perfectly. Plus it stores like it's supposed to and clips into the keeper that came with it when not in use.

IMG_7521.JPG IMG_7597.JPG IMG_7601.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrentL9900