Replacing a 4L60E on a 03 Yukun need help with last bolts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NC_John

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just curious...how much easier is it to get to the top bolts if you removed the intake manifold?

Cameron

Unnecessary. I let me transmission hang down a little bit (removed the crossmember and held the tranny with a jack). That'll give you better access.

Now I will say that removing the intake manifold will make getting that damn transmission dipstick back in place a hell of a lot easier but I still wouldn't do it.

OP
OP
D

drspeed2

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for all the advise, at the end I used a 20" and a 15" extension with a ball joint and a deep socket to get to the bolt I ran it back towards the driver side, this turned out to be rather easy.

The hardest bolt was the middle one on the passenger side, I had to use the same setup, the reason was a set of 2 rigid lines going to the back (brake or gas lines).

For the other hard to reach bolts I came in from the wheel wells using an articulated retched head monkey wrench (best set of tools I got in a while).

Now that all the bolts are out I just need to pull the tranny out. Here are some pictures of the setup I had to do to lift the car high enough to be able to work;
https://plus.google.com/photos/108664577760455873058/albums/5751888270973233809

Next post will be about taking the tranny out of the there, I am waiting for a friend to come over and give me hand, I figured it will be safer and easier if I am not alone trying to get it out of there.

I'll try to take some picture for anyone else attempting this for the first time.

And once again thanks for all the tips.

OP
OP
D

drspeed2

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
help to pry the tranny and engine appart

Hi All,

So after a few weeks of not working on the truck, due to actual work, I am back in the shop.

All bolts are off, flywheel bolts removed, cross-member is out, and the tranny is on the tranny jack.

Problem: the tranny seems "stuck" to the engine, I am not sure how to pry them apart. I see a round hole where I could insert a tool, but is this safe? Where should hit with the hammer? Any guidance will be welcome!

thanks

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only thing keeping them together could be these alignment pins. May need a shock to break em free..

The pin between the black engine stand mounts.
ad394831-d788-17c2.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
D

drspeed2

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi bottomline2000,

Was this picture taken from the bottom? Just want to reduce the time to find the alignment pin.

thanks!

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is the left rear of the engine. Just below the heads.

If facing the engine it would be at 9 and 3 0'clock at the back of the engine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

NC_John

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, its the alignment dowels. Gently rock the transmission right to left by the tail or get a prybar and gently separate it from the engine block, a little on each side at a time.

OP
OP
D

drspeed2

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi All, it's been a while since I was able to work on the truck. I am still having trouble removing the tranny from the block. I have located the alignment pins, my only issue is that I am afraid to break the housing of the tranny or the engine block. How hard can push with a pry bar? I tried lowering or raising the tranny to help, I tried rocking it from left to right. All I can see is that bottom of the housing seems to not be stuck any more, but the top part is just fused there.

Any tricks or advise? How much force should be needed to separate the engine from the tranny?

I tripple checked and I am 100% that I have all the bolts out.

thanks!!

hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi All, it's been a while since I was able to work on the truck. I am still having trouble removing the tranny from the block. I have located the alignment pins, my only issue is that I am afraid to break the housing of the tranny or the engine block. How hard can push with a pry bar? I tried lowering or raising the tranny to help, I tried rocking it from left to right. All I can see is that bottom of the housing seems to not be stuck any more, but the top part is just fused there.

Any tricks or advise? How much force should be needed to separate the engine from the tranny?

I tripple checked and I am 100% that I have all the bolts out.

thanks!!

make sure the converter bolts are all out... then PRY that sucker... just use some muscle it will take it. Big crow bar or even a mallet as well.

OP
OP
D

drspeed2

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The project was stalled for a while, but it's almost done now, got the tranny out, it's stripped it, and it's now ready to go back in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia