Replacing a 4L60E on a 03 Yukun need help with last bolts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drspeed2

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am replacing (actually removing, rebuilding and then re-installing) my 4L60E tranny on a 2003 Yukon (4X4, SLT, 165K miles, 5.3 L).

It's almost out, all I have left to remove are the bolts between the housing and the engine. My problem is with the 2 or 3 bolts on the top side of the tranny. Can anybody advise on the best way to get to these bolts?

On my old Safari there was an easy access to the engine from inside the care, not sure if I can reach the engine bay from the inside on the Yukon, I would hate to take the whole dash out just to find out that it was no use. Any advise would be great. I basically have the transmission jack under the tranny/transfer case, and the ratchet on the bolts of the cross member.

Thanks

fire730

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure this may not help you but I have a 3 ft long 1/2 in drive extension with a 3/8 end on it that I use a 3/8 drive deep swivel socket with a 1/2 in impact gun. Works every time.

There is NO access from inside the truck so forget that.

Are you using air or hand tools?

OP
OP
D

drspeed2

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am using a combination of air tools and hand tools. I have a pretty well equipped (no lift yet). I will head to the store tomorrow and get myself a 3 ft extension and give it a try.

thx

OP
OP
D

drspeed2

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So far so good. Not the easiest job to do, there was a lot of "surprises" along the way. So far the worst part was removing the exhaust Y, I had 1 striped bolt on each side between the exhaust manifold and the Y. Once this was out all seemed to go pretty smoothly. Little trick for anyone else attempting this, remove the O2 sensor on the drive side to somewhat easily access the bolts between the Y and the manifold.

I got a video from http://www.700r4l60e.com it's really detailed, I'll see how it goes once I have it out of there.

I'll post some pics later this week once I have a few minutes and the tranny on the work bench.

04SS99Denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you have small hands you might be able to reach the 11,12, and 1 o'clock bolts from the top of the engine. like reaching your hand behind the motor between the fire wall. if not just make a 3 foot extension with a swivel, universal whatever you prefer to call it on the end. the exhaust can be a *****, if you plan on installing a new cat back just whip out the sawzall for time saving and install a new cat back later

NC_John

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am replacing (actually removing, rebuilding and then re-installing) my 4L60E tranny on a 2003 Yukon (4X4, SLT, 165K miles, 5.3 L).

It's almost out, all I have left to remove are the bolts between the housing and the engine. My problem is with the 2 or 3 bolts on the top side of the tranny. Can anybody advise on the best way to get to these bolts?

when I pulled mine back in December I used a cryptic combination of different length extensions and swivels. I also found I had to have my *********** very specific postion for everything to align and work. It was a pain in the ass. Remove the rear crossmember and allow the tranny to tilt down some- that helps.

Oddly though, getting it back together was a lot easier than taking it apart.

Bennie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
As already stated extensions and swivels. I also used ratcheting box wrenches from the top. Patients is the best tool. When it's all done you will look back and think it wasn't really all that bad. It's just a couple bolts right? :)

Physh1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just curious...how much easier is it to get to the top bolts if you removed the intake manifold?

Cameron

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia