rear end gearing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Archtoker420

Archtoker420

Reaction score
I be been looking into a bb tune but have to wait till income tax so I have enough extra money. What exactly is a stall converter? Don't think I've heard of that

SUBURBIAN

All Chevy
Reaction score
Yes, you will benefit from a lower gear ratio, and no, you don't need 35" tires to do it. The taller gear will lighten the load on your engine and drive train and mathematically change the number of times the axles turn in relation to the number of times the drives haft turns. Disregard anything anyone else tells you about this. It's not opinion, it's MATH.

A stall converter is actually called a torque converter, not a stall converter. All torque converters have a rating called the stall rating. It is the engine rpm where it begins to couple the engine and transmission, as the torque converter is the fluid coupler between the engine and transmission. A factory torque converter has a very low rpm stall rating. Performance oriented torque converters stall at a higher rpm. A higher stall rating benefits a combination of engine transmission tire size gearing and weight by bringing in the engine's power at the right rpm to launch the vehicle based on the engines torque peak.

bai78

Surviving
Reaction score
In the end how much $$$ are you willing to put into the fun truck?

Weigh thr options and choose your mods wisely.

OP
OP
Archtoker420

Archtoker420

Reaction score
In the long run I don't mind putting some good $$ in. But right now just looking for some what cheap. Would a 4.10 rear end be worth it?

OP
OP
Archtoker420

Archtoker420

Reaction score
Yes, you will benefit from a lower gear ratio, and no, you don't need 35" tires to do it. The taller gear will lighten the load on your engine and drive train and mathematically change the number of times the axles turn in relation to the number of times the drives haft turns. Disregard anything anyone else tells you about this. It's not opinion, it's MATH.

A stall converter is actually called a torque converter, not a stall converter. All torque converters have a rating called the stall rating. It is the engine rpm where it begins to couple the engine and transmission, as the torque converter is the fluid coupler between the engine and transmission. A factory torque converter has a very low rpm stall rating. Performance oriented torque converters stall at a higher rpm. A higher stall rating benefits a combination of engine transmission tire size gearing and weight by bringing in the engine's power at the right rpm to launch the vehicle based on the engines torque peak.
So if I did change the rear end to a 41
.10 should I look into an upgraded TC too?

OP
OP
Archtoker420

Archtoker420

Reaction score
OK cool. I guess I'm gonna start researching and looking for parts and hopefully get that done eventually. I appreciate everyone's input on this. Because I'm trying to figure it out on my own and yall are the only ones I can ask for help/advice lol

bai78

Surviving
Reaction score
Personally you should boost it, tune it, and go from there. That would net the most gains for the least amount of mods.

You'd need top end and higher gears once the 8-10lbs of boost kicks in.

Don't take our word for it. Seek out others in your area and get first hand experiences.