99 Burb Rear end....NEED SOME HELP!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You need to make a trophy out of that thing man DAMN!!!!

OP
OP
ZEUS1

ZEUS1

Reaction score
Yikes. Does the axle shaft have deep scoring you can catch with your fingernail? Maybe a polish with fine scotchbrite is all that's needed.

A dial indicator and a needle-type torque wrench that reads in-lbs to measure preload rotational force are a must.
Yeah i seen 18 in lbs rotational on the pinion, and i will set up the gear mesh per the set i ordered. i have not seen any specs for the axles rotation. The pits are rough, can't catch much with my nails so i will try polishing first. It appears that the repair bearings are greased, and sealed off from the rest of the oil in the housing.

Eman85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look at the new and old pinion and see if there are any numbers written on them about pinion depth. Usually you can just press the old bearing off and re-use the depth shim and be close enough. I'd polish that axle and see how bad it is and use a bearing with a sleeve for the axle. Pinion rotation is with lubed bearings and the collar crushed. I have a tool that bolts on the pinion yoke but I have used a large pipe wrench. You have to sneak up on it as it crushes, checking often as you tighten a little at a time.

OP
OP
ZEUS1

ZEUS1

Reaction score
ok i Cleaned up and Mic'd the damaged axle shaft, it is roughly .001-.002 different than the non damaged one. I believe this will be fine with the upgraded bearing i am using.

1702315415377.png

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would not trust that axle to last very long, especially with a higher load.

OP
OP
ZEUS1

ZEUS1

Reaction score
Here's the update.........

Got everything back together, final assembly lash set at .012. I feel it is a bit much however i ran out of shims to get it any closer. The initial drive was great. No gear whine, slop or any issues, so i think it went well. Sorry for no pics, didn't really stop to grab my phone, not that setting up a rear end is picturesque.

OP
OP
ZEUS1

ZEUS1

Reaction score
Now next question. I used a Eaton Friction style diff on this. How long does it typically take to break in?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan