rear end gearing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Archtoker420

Archtoker420

Reaction score
OK cool then I guess I don't need to upgrade to that. So what is G80?

OP
OP
Archtoker420

Archtoker420

Reaction score
Well I don't usually get up to top end much. It's my daily driver and family car. But my first 350. So I'm wanting it to be a beast of a daily driver.

osiris94ej

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is 3.88 for a mild improvement. But for the cost why not make it worth it. Because in the end you will wish you went with more.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Archtoker420

Archtoker420

Reaction score
I was doing a bit of research and found that the G80 is a locking diff. It's limited slip on cars but in the trucks it's a locking. Is that correct? And is that a good thing to have or should I see about getting rid of that for something else? And I was told I would need my computer reflashed if I changed the gearing. Would I have to pay for a full blown tune or is thier an easier way to reflash

SUBURBIAN

All Chevy
Reaction score
Yes, GT4 is 3.73:1. The next lower common ratio is 4.10:1. Not sure why anyone would be concerned about top end in a pickup or SUV. It would be cheaper and easier to find a 4.10 rear and swap it in, instead of regearing yours. The G80 is an automatic locking carrier. Some will call it limited slip, others will call it a posi or positraction or even positive traction. It is an auto locker, made by eaton for much lighter vehicles than any half ton rated pickup or suv. It senses a speed differenoe from axle to axle and locks up. Some last hundreds of thousands of miles, others grenade in dramatic fashion.

OP
OP
Archtoker420

Archtoker420

Reaction score
That's what I read on it. My truck has 184xxx but motor has been rebuilt and tranny or I was told. So I guess mine is in good shape lol. Now let me ask where would I find a 4.10 rear end and is it a straight swap or would I need to replace other parts or modify anything?

Yukon John

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what I read on it. My truck has 184xxx but motor has been rebuilt and tranny or I was told. So I guess mine is in good shape lol. Now let me ask where would I find a 4.10 rear end and is it a straight swap or would I need to replace other parts or modify anything?

Unless you are or planning to run 35" tires on your truck you really won't benefit from changing to a 4.10. Save your money.

OP
OP
Archtoker420

Archtoker420

Reaction score
Unless you are or planning to run 35" tires on your truck you really won't benefit from changing to a 4.10. Save your money.
Thanks I'm def. Not planning on tires that big. I'm going more towards a drag style truck than an off road. I want a muscley fast truck if you know what I'm saying. But keeping it daily driver until I can get a new family car or project. So I'm just trying to find ways to make my yukon quicker so I've been exploring trying to learn how and what I can do

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gmdealerguy