99 Burb Rear end....NEED SOME HELP!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ZEUS1

Reaction score
OK i will start this by saying i did search the site and the googles and have watched a couple of videos that were semi some help so thanks ahead of time if i missed something in my searches.

Here is where i am at. My wife's 99 burb just shelled the rear end. Currently i am in the tear down process. here are my questions??

1. What is the easiest route to go?
Rebuilding the rear end in the vehicle?
Rebuilding off the vehicle?

2. If off the vehicle is the way to go, what special tools do i need to disconnect the park brake cable? Drum brakes are the one thing i absolutely hate doing. I really don't want to have to deal with those.

Everything else i think i have all the info on, for now any way.

Once again thanks ahead of time

blackelky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lkq. You can purchase a warranty with their used parts as well. Pretty resonable i priced out a 4.10 14 bolt rear and front diff 600$ total

OP
OP
ZEUS1

ZEUS1

Reaction score
I just looked it up on LKQ, WOOOFA it is priced out of my range. I can do the rebuild, i have never done it so i know no tips and tricks

Eman85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the vehicle is no big deal. Hardest part is setting the crush on the pinion if you're lying on your back. Parking brake cables aren't a problem. If you want to release the cables where they clip in use a small hose clamp to collapse the clips and pull them through.

OP
OP
ZEUS1

ZEUS1

Reaction score
On the vehicle is no big deal. Hardest part is setting the crush on the pinion if you're lying on your back. Parking brake cables aren't a problem. If you want to release the cables where they clip in use a small hose clamp to collapse the clips and pull them through.
Perfect thank you. i guess i will try it on the truck first and go from there.

OP
OP
ZEUS1

ZEUS1

Reaction score
Next question. What you the thoughts on this axle shaft??
1701957230420.png

The bearing for sure will get replaced
1701957294616.png

OP
OP
ZEUS1

ZEUS1

Reaction score
Has any one used these axle reapair bearings before?
1701961977586.png

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION​

Designed to be used on worn axle shafts, National® axle repair bearings are manufactured with premium materials for durability and long-lasting performance.
  • checkmark

REPAIRS AXLE BEARINGS -- Enables a worn axle shaft to be reused by shifting the bearing element contact surface on the axle

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yikes. Does the axle shaft have deep scoring you can catch with your fingernail? Maybe a polish with fine scotchbrite is all that's needed.

A dial indicator and a needle-type torque wrench that reads in-lbs to measure preload rotational force are a must.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar