Rear air shock boot shredded...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

busterbrown

Reaction score
I own a 2008 Yukon XL Denali. It has rear leveling air suspension. The driver's rear shock was replaced by the GMC dealership I bought it from in July 2015. I replaced the passenger side myself 1 week after I purchased the truck last July. So both are relatively new. Both are OEM. Only about 3K miles have been driven on this truck since they have been replaced. No towing what so ever either. I'm rotating tires on the vehicle tonight and noticed this on the drivers rear shock...
denali rear shock.jpg

The suspension is fully extended with jacks lifting the frame. It looks like the lower portion of the boot is being shredded completely around the shock body. Is this normal?

Here's the passenger side rear...

Denali rear passenger shock.jpg
Looks like it may be starting on this side too. Anyone have ideas what can be causing this?

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

busterbrown

Reaction score
Ok, I called Amazon and they refunded me the cost of the passanger rear shock I purchased from them in July per the ACDelco warranty. I'm going to call the dealership who installed the driver's rear shock and see if they will do the same. As I research the part number more, I'm realizing there are quite a few different ones:

The dealer installed GM part: 14351131 on the drivers side
From Amazon, I purchased and installed GM part: 15134131 on the passenger side
The original OEM passanger rear shock is GM part: 25885470

The ACDelco part number that I ordered from Amazon back in July is listed as ACDelco 580-481. Amazon now says there is a new model for this part number: ACDelco 580-1094.

Amazon has 2 other air shocks that fit my Denali too: ACDelco 580-472 and ACDelco 580-1091

Oh, I'm so confused. I have a 08 XL Denali AWD. It has RPO option Z55 (CHASSIS PACKAGE BI-STATE REAL TIME DAMPING).

Can anyone help me identify the OEM GM part number that is applicable to my vehicle?

denalianyone

NYBlackLade08
Reaction score
Never saw a boot shred like this. Mines were leaking but nothing this drastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

busterbrown

Reaction score
Dealership will replace the rear passanger shock this week for free under the part's warranty. I'm wondering now if the air compressor is faulting causing due stress on the rear shocks. I'm going to have the dealership check out the complete system. Why would these shock boots fail in a matter of months with only 4,000 mile on them. It just doesn't make sense.

OP
OP
B

busterbrown

Reaction score

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waiteben84