Need help with squating on a 2008 XL Denali's rear while towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

busterbrown

Reaction score
My 08 Yukon Denali XL's suspension is working as designed while towing light loads. However, with my new travel trailer hooked up properly to my weight distribution hitch, the trailer is level but the truck still seems to squat a few inches. Tongue weight is around 800 lbs. Rear air shocks are OEM and brand new. Again, no problem with lighter loads, just when the 800 lbs of tongue weight is applied. The WDH is rated for 1000 lbs and is set up properly.

Anyway to install helper bags ( like Air Lift 1000s) or Timbrens on the rear end? It looks like most of the aftermarket add-on components are not compatible with the air ride system? Don't want to buy something that isnt proven to work already? Anyone have suggestions?

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Airlift bags will fix your issue. Yes you can use them, will just need to add air manually and NOT hook it up to your on-board compressor.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your using a weight distribution hitch and you want the truck and trailer level you will need to go down a hole with the receiver bar. The head of the distribution hitch is bolted to the receiver bar with 2 bolts your main reciever bar should have other holes you can move it up and down with. Also the weight distribution bars are meant to help the truck not level the trailer. You can also go down another link on the pull chain on both bars that will take a little more weight off and should bring the back of the truck up a little more.

OP
OP
B

busterbrown

Reaction score
Airlift bags will fix your issue. Yes you can use them, will just need to add air manually and NOT hook it up to your on-board compressor.
So just install them exactly as some of the youtube eTrailer videos show how? I'm assuming I would air them down to minimal pressure when not towing. My biggest concern is setting up these helper bags in conjuction with the air shocks and my weight distribution hitch. Should I set up the WDH first with the airlift bags completely deflated? Then add air into the bags until I get a my truck level? Or should I first, air up the bags prior to hooking up the trailer on the WDH. Should I keep the truck ignition on or off when making adjustments to either the helper bags or the WDH/shank?

I didn't get much help from the dealer as they just said to add airlift bags to level things out.

OP
OP
B

busterbrown

Reaction score
If your using a weight distribution hitch and you want the truck and trailer level you will need to go down a hole with the receiver bar. The head of the distribution hitch is bolted to the receiver bar with 2 bolts your main reciever bar should have other holes you can move it up and down with. Also the weight distribution bars are meant to help the truck not level the trailer. You can also go down another link on the pull chain on both bars that will take a little more weight off and should bring the back of the truck up a little more.

I've tried that already. When I drop the receiver head down on the shank 1 or 2 holes, the trailer tongue then drops and I get squat in both the rear of the truck and the front of the trailer. Almost looks like I have no WDH at all. When the truck is unhooked from the trailer, I have the hitch ball on the WDH aligned about 2 inches above the top of the trailer's coupler. This levels out the trailer nicely....but squats the rear of the truck about 3-4 inches. From my understanding, you should only have up to a 1" drop on truck's rear if everything is adjusted properly. The tongue weight is just over 800 lbs. My Denali should handle this comfortably given it has a capacity of 1000 lbs with a WDH. I'm not sure why I need to install helper bags, but I'm willing to spend the money for a safe tow vehicle.

kebm

Reaction score
You need to measure the front end of the denali. The wdh is designed to force some of the tongue wieght to the front axle of the tow vehicle. Measure unloaded from ground to the front wheel arch. Connect trailer to the truck and measure again. The wheel arch should not go up more than an inch. If it does, adjust the wd bars tighter until this measurment is an inch or less. Do not tighten any further than this as it will take too much wieght off of the rear axle and can cause handling and steering issues esp on rain or other slippery conditions. If this all checks out, then it is time to get airbags or timbrens.
My yukon does not have air ride, but it does have the electric self adjusting shocks. I added timbrens to the rear to help handling and have been very happy with them. I used airlift bags in our previous vehicle(avalanche) and I like the timbrens better. Airbags are nice if you want adjustability, though. Timbrens are less expensive and more durable with less hassle each time you hitch up.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

busterbrown

Reaction score
Ok, I received my Airlift 1000 bags (Part number 60769) from Amazon and attempted to install them tonight. After I fed the bag to through one of the lower spring openings, I attempted to inflate the bag but the it stayed collapsed (or folded) on itself. It will not completely expand inside the space of the coil spring. It stays partially compressed and folded inward as I add air to it. I've tried everything in an attempt to make the inward fold to expand outward. It's almost like these bags are too wide for the space. Did I order the correct size?

OP
OP
B

busterbrown

Reaction score
This is the best pic I can get of my noncompliant air bag. If I can't get the fold out, I'm not sure it would be safe to inflate under load. And it looks like the only way i'm going to remove it is to cut it out. Anyone have suggestions?
airbag fold.jpg

OP
OP
B

busterbrown

Reaction score
is your airline pinched.
I'm pretty sure NO as air I can air up and down with my compressor very easily. I've visually inspected the lines and nothing seams pinched.

also if your spring is about 4.9 inches inside diameter which it shoudl be you should be using the 60810. its 4.9 wide by 9 inches long and for stock springs

I have stock Yukon Denali coil springs on my 2009. RPO code listed for this truck is Z55 (autoride dampening and air leveling suspension). The springs are original. I'm not sure I have the correct Air Lift 1000 kit now that you mention it. I purchased kit 60769 off Amazon. I checked a couple of sites for proper application. I just did a search for PN 60810 and it looks as if they are for the Nissan Pathfinder. It seems that GM had quite a few variety of coil spring sets for these full size SUVs. Let me ask you, are the helper bags supposed to fit inside the spring loosely when not inflated? From the pics in your link, the answer is yes. I measured the inside width of my coil springs on the truck. it measures around 5". Probably 4.9 as I had a hard time getting precise on the tape measure as the spring is still mounted on the truck.

I'm going to remove the spring now from the rear axle and see if I can get the helper bag out and return the kit to Amazon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14