Question from a prospective new owner.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cshecks

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm looking at picking up a Tahoe (LT most likely) sometime in November/December. Regarding the 2013 MY, I'm usually a huge proponent of purchasing a last model year of a vehicle because most of the gremlins have usually been worked out and the said model is about as perfect as it's going to be. Is there any information out about the 2014's that would persuade you to wait a year for the new model? I haven't had much luck finding/searching info and wanted to see if you die hard Yukon/Tahoe/Chevy owners had an inside line on some knowledge. Also feel free to volunteer any additional info I should be considering that cannot be found from an internet search or a 15 minute test drive.

Anyway, I would like to get a new vehicle soon and the only other rig I was considering was the Toyota 4runner but as much as I tried I just can't get on board with that ugly a%$ body style and transformers gauge cluster.

I'll just be using the vehicle for commuting to work (short commute - 10 miles each way) and a lot of snowboarding and a little off-road stuff (no towing). I'm currently in a VW Golf TDI but am tired of rolling around in a sardine can on wheels (too frikn cramped and a few other complaints about it but I'll stop here).

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Chris and welcome aboard.

Very little info on the next gen 2014 models, basically just what we've been able to deduce from spy shots. GM is keeping the whole thing uber secret until the unveiling, which is rumored to be early next year at either the Detroit or Chicago auto shows.

SCMODS

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am a former owner of a 2008 Z71 for 3 years. Loved it and went 72,000 trouble-free miles. Then on a whim I stupidly traded for a Lexus GX460 and hated it - so I took my $7,000 depreciation loss 16 days later and traded for a 2011 Tahoe LTZ which I love.

My experience is the 2011 is screwed together extremely well. Where as my Z71 had some rattles and squeaks, this 2011 exhibits none of that behavior. The big GM trucks are solid performers but not glamorous. The technology isn't state of the art like some other makes. But they are big, very comfy, dependable and a strong value.

For your decision, if having the former body style bothers you then wait for the 2014. Once the new style is out 6 months, the current body style (out since fall of 2006) will start to look dated pretty fast IMO. If you love the current body style, then I'd go hunting for an unsold new 2012 that some dealer is dying to move the next few weeks. Between rebates and discounts it's not uncommon to save $8-$10k off sticker this time of year.

Good luck,
SCMODS

CYKBC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doesn't sound too objective of a crowd here. I personally think Toyota makes the best everyday SUVs. If you need a full size you have very few options which is the reason why I ended up with the 2013 hybrid.

Interior quality shortcomings aside, I trust in its reliability. It's a simple vehicle when it comes down to it which I favor for the long run.

If you find a gently used one (diamond in the rough), go for it. I traded in a mint 2011 ltz that i owned for all of 4 days at a dealership in seattle. Families beat on these rigs.

20Tahoe12LT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2011 4Runner TE, and hated it!! It was so wicked uncomfy for me, and the V6 got abysmal gas mileage. It was too small for me. Like I said, it was wicked uncomfy for me!! When I realized that I didn't even want to drive it the 30 mins. to work, I KNEW it needed to go. I traded it for my current ride; a 2012 Tahoe 4x4, LT w/ Luxury Package. I LOVE my Tahoe!!

OP
OP
C

cshecks

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am a former owner of a 2008 Z71 for 3 years. Loved it and went 72,000 trouble-free miles. Then on a whim I stupidly traded for a Lexus GX460 and hated it - so I took my $7,000 depreciation loss 16 days later and traded for a 2011 Tahoe LTZ which I love.

My experience is the 2011 is screwed together extremely well. Where as my Z71 had some rattles and squeaks, this 2011 exhibits none of that behavior. The big GM trucks are solid performers but not glamorous. The technology isn't state of the art like some other makes. But they are big, very comfy, dependable and a strong value.

For your decision, if having the former body style bothers you then wait for the 2014. Once the new style is out 6 months, the current body style (out since fall of 2006) will start to look dated pretty fast IMO. If you love the current body style, then I'd go hunting for an unsold new 2012 that some dealer is dying to move the next few weeks. Between rebates and discounts it's not uncommon to save $8-$10k off sticker this time of year.

Good luck,
SCMODS

Nice, sounds like sage advice. I DO love the current body style. I'll go with my usual practice and go for the late model year vehicle, besides, i was burned w/ the last first model year vehicle I bought. I'll first try my luck w/ the 2012 at a deep discount, if that doesn't work then I'll go for a 13. I really would like a LT w/ Luxury package....wish me luck.

Thanks all for the tidbits of info everyone.

If anyone else has anything else to look out for/expect with this vehicle please let me know, much appreciated in advance.

09tahoehybrid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im guessing you'll get about $4000 off MSRP on a 2012 vs. a 2013. Also 0.9% APR since its "Truck Month" (lol when isn't it right?)
Doubt the discounts will be too deep right now, they probably start heating up 1-2 months before the new 2014'***** the lot.

Im actually a fan of the 4runner. To me even the new styling looks fine. My 2006 4runner has been absolutely bullet-proof. 130,000 miles and no unexpected repairs, its a true workhorse. The 4.0L V6 has so much torque & very little throttle delay, so it literally throws you back into the seat taking-off from every red light! I love it. Even with similar features the 4runner will be about $10,000-$15,000 less. Hands down the Tahoe looks better, but the 4Runner just feels better put together. It really is a tough choice

MACHO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's my advice:

Buy Tahoe.
Fall in love.

Mod.
Fall in love more.

Get a Black Bear Tune.
Fall in madly in love all over again.

Seriously tho, are you most concerned about price or features?

If price is your driver then definitely take advantage of year end rebates. We purchased our Tahoe LT with Luxury and Convenience Package last November for $8K off of MSRP which included the $4k rebate.

If features are more important wait for the new model. There are a lot of little updates (not deal breakers however IMO) that I imagine will be changed in 2014 which will take the Tahoe to the top of the large SUV market. You'll obviously pay full sticker for them though.

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go with a '12 instead of '13 as you'll save a LOT more money. There aren't many differences between the two years that make the newer 2013 models worth spending the extra $$$.

SCMODS

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm a free trade guy and buy American when it's the best value proposition for me. Tahoe is the best for me. I can't wait to see the 2014 but like someone wrote above, the simplicity (by today's standards) is pretty reassuring. GM has big trucks figured out.

The 4Runner is a great vehicle (I temporarily owned the GX460, it's cousin) and extremely well-built. I simply could not stand the seats in that Lexus and I've had the same issue with other Toyota products. Something about the backrest just doesn't agree with my spine and lumbar needs. It bends my back the opposite direction is needs to be supported from. Just writing about it is uncomfortable!

When I got back into a Tahoe the seating was a little slice of heaven. I'm reminded how much I despise Lexus seats every time I drive my mother's RX350.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
qurba55