Pulling the Cats

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Crawled under the truck today to swap O2 sensors and then saw that that need not be done. This passenger side cat that has been a thorn in my eye has been replaced before. It is much smaller than the original cat on the left and one can see the terrible weld marks and the body is discolored, it's time to go.

After seeing that welding mess, I did not want to hollow them out anymore but get a catless y-pipe. Who makes one? I really do not want headers now or an exhaust system.

Spent several hours tonight looking for an off road y pipe and can't seem to find one. Any ideas?

Last edited:

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Crawled under the truck today to swap O2 sensors and then saw that that need not be done. This left cat that has been a thorn in my eye has been replaced before. It is much smaller than the original cat on the left and one can see the terrible weld marks and the body is discolored, it's time to go.

After seeing that welding mess, I did not want to hollow them out anymore but get a catless y-pipe. Who makes one? I really do not want headers now or an exhaust system.

Spent several hours tonight looking for an off road y pipe and can't seem to find one. Any ideas?
This isn't for an offroad pipe, but one of the guys on the forum posted this. I forgot who, or else I'd give them the credit. http://www.siliconeintakes.com/dsm-intercooler-piping/catalytic-converter-p-320.html

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Crawled under the truck today to swap O2 sensors and then saw that that need not be done. This left cat that has been a thorn in my eye has been replaced before. It is much smaller than the original cat on the left and one can see the terrible weld marks and the body is discolored, it's time to go.

Off-road y-pipes are usually specifically made for each manufactures headers, not stock exhaust. You can probably have an exhaust shop bend something for you custom.

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mark, I thought they would be prevented from doing so by law. I'll make a call tomorrow.

Thanks for the link Tony, I'd seen that before but not who makes it.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mark, I thought they would be prevented from doing so by law. I'll make a call tomorrow.

Thanks for the link Tony, I'd seen that before but not who makes it.
usually shops can make you whatever you want they just cant install them, you have to do that yourself.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's a lot of room to interpret these laws. Most big chain shops are gonna play it safe and not remove cats. But, I'm sure there are plenty of smaller shops that won't have any problem doing it. Like Mark said, you're building it for off-road use. It's not a lie- you will be operating it in your driveway which is off public roads. Also, they don't know if you do or don't have a tow truck coming to pick it up after they finish their work and they can't say where you'll drive it once you leave their shop. They just need to be assured that you're not working a sting operation.

I had a similar post recently where I mentioned having to meet a guy at the shop in person to prove I wasn't an EPA officer trying to set him up. I neutrally explained that I have a section of damaged exhaust pipe that needed to be replaced with a new section as I pointed in the general area of the cat converter. He knew everything was cool, especially since I was in a slammed and supercharged S10 Xtreme. I linked that fake cat in that post cuz I think that person had visual inspections in their area.

A guaranteed way to get what you want would be to get a Y-pipe from a junkyard truck and mount it on a jig. You can make a $5 jig out of pieces of 2x4 and wood lags. Have a horizontal piece on the ground with two uprights to lag screw both flanges to. You cut the cat out of one side but don't cut the other side so it'll hold everything in place. Weld in a piece of pipe, then repeat for the other side. Clean, cold-galvanize and paint the pipe then swap it in place of your stock one. If you can't weld it, you can bring it to any welder, even an exhaust shop.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTN_KDA