Projector headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dgould

Reaction score
Ok, give me some advice. Are the Halo projector style head lights any better then the stock units. I do like the looks of the aftermarket pieces. But if the lighting is not any better I will leave the stock ones in. Thanks...

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your stock ones aren't projector, then I'd say alot of the halo ones with projectors would be an upgrade, especially if you wanted to do HID (which I highly recommend with the projectors). Only problem with alot of the aftermarket ones is that they leak so with some caulking along the back edge of the housings on your part will help prevent that!!

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most of the "Halo Projectors" are junk, the projector reflector and lense are just designed badly. With 55watt HID's they can produce useable light, and not blind ppl.
But compared to even mid lvl Projectors they are sub par.

If you have the tools and skills, you can get the projector headlight assembly of your choice from ebay and retro fit a good projector assembly onto it.

Check out www.HIDplanet.com for info how to do the retro fit and the www.retrofitsource.com for the projector assemblys.

If you want Good out of the box Projectors, go with DEPO brand. They are non halo, but if you must have HALO, you can retro fit them in rather easy.

2005yukonxl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
actually a lot of the halo projectors out there put out less light than the stock lamp. halogen and all. so theres no upgrade benefit besides looking stupid and like a 17 yr old honda civic driver with halos.

chauncey0337

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had experience with both led and ccfl halos. Right now I have the sonar projectors with ccfl halos and the output is actually pretty good. They're not as bright as I would like but I only have 35 watt halogens in them right now. If you have to go halo, make sure you get the ccfl halos (florescent). Don't get the led ones as they only have 1 led at each end of the halo and don't do much for output. For the most part, output is not better unless you go hid.

Last edited:

Campi3ell

Reaction score
Is this in reference to the light output of the Halo's themselves, or the projectors.

I wouldn't expect much light from the halos, except to just "be seen" when driving. Similar to the DRLs, from the examples I have seen driving around town. Although in ATL, I see HID upgrades, but not many projectors used with them

I've had experience with both led and ccfl halos. Right now I have the sonar projectors with ccfl halos and the output is actually pretty good. They're not as bright as I would like but I only have 35 watt halogens in them right now. If you have to go halo, make sure you get the ccfl halos (florescent). Don't get the led ones as they only have 1 led at each end of the halo and don't do much for output. For the most part, output is not better unless you go hid.

01HDtahoeNJN

Shredding Gnar Daily
Reaction score
both most aftermarket projectors have led halos.....id do a retro or itll look like dukey IMO Morimoto Mini H1's and some angle eyes ccfl's ;)

---------- Post added at 09:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:51 PM ----------

I know mike has a thread started thats pretty interesting were all throwing ideas arround...check this out should help a bit

http://tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25553&highlight=smd+halos

Tahoewhat

Ballin' on a Budget
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Garry, Op, you have a yukon, so a little different w/ the lights, but same process. DenaliAK, retroed some real projectors in his yukon denali lights. Much better output and you could put some ccfl or UHP led angel eyes (halos) (not the ones on ebay, these are much brighter than those) in there if you wanted. WOuld be 100x better output.

Like Chauncey said, if you do get them, make sure you get ccfl halos, the led ones suck, i have them and you cant see them unless its dark out. For the projectors, i have had no leaks what so ever, had them for about 2 years on and off the truck, no problems at all. Only thing is some of them cant take a hid bulb and you have drill the hole bigger.

Last edited:

chauncey0337

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this in reference to the light output of the Halo's themselves, or the projectors.

I wouldn't expect much light from the halos, except to just "be seen" when driving. Similar to the DRLs, from the examples I have seen driving around town. Although in ATL, I see HID upgrades, but not many projectors used with them

You're correct, Campi3ell, Halos are just for looks but the ccfl ones are much brighter than the led ones and can be seen in the daytime. And my projectors are not quite as bright as my stock housings but I like the look of the cuttoff. Sorry, I kind of went back and forth between halos and projectors in my first post.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buzarr