Preparing to replace 4L60e myself.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Searay45db

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just faced this choice two months ago. Here are some things you need to think about that some people brought up. $1400 and you doing the work is not that great of a deal. A rebuilt transmission is what you get from everyone. Why? Because when they crack that case, there isn't a good part in it. I paid 1900, installed with a 3 year/50k warranty from a local shop that has been doing it for 35 years. He see's 5 of these a week. The difference between rebuilt and what my guy did? Maybe they put it on a dyno but these fail so often they can do these blind folded. As one person said, you can upgrade to 4l65E, I did do that, only because I tow. Now unfortunately 3 days after the work was done, some dips hit tried to do a u-turn into to the side of my baby. Insurance company totaled it, I bought it back. Already replaced it with another one.

You upgrade shift kits to the Corvette but don't. It sucks. Are you in MI?

Here is the good news, you won't replace this again. My shop told me that if it doesn't go in the first 100 miles, it ain't breaking. Every part in your transmission is upgraded.

Good luck

OP
OP
Merc1973

Merc1973

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
Merc1973

Merc1973

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just faced this choice two months ago. Here are some things you need to think about that some people brought up. $1400 and you doing the work is not that great of a deal. A rebuilt transmission is what you get from everyone. Why? Because when they crack that case, there isn't a good part in it. I paid 1900, installed with a 3 year/50k warranty from a local shop that has been doing it for 35 years. He see's 5 of these a week. The difference between rebuilt and what my guy did? Maybe they put it on a dyno but these fail so often they can do these blind folded. As one person said, you can upgrade to 4l65E, I did do that, only because I tow. Now unfortunately 3 days after the work was done, some dips hit tried to do a u-turn into to the side of my baby. Insurance company totaled it, I bought it back. Already replaced it with another one.

You upgrade shift kits to the Corvette but don't. It sucks. Are you in MI?

Here is the good news, you won't replace this again. My shop told me that if it doesn't go in the first 100 miles, it ain't breaking. Every part in your transmission is upgraded.

Good luck

Thanks. I wasn't going to upgrade anything until the 3 year unlimited mile warranty was up, I dont want to void it. No, I'm in Maryland, west of Baltimore. Should I not do any upgrades, its just a DD, with the rare occasional tow duty. Here is the company i bought the trans from:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=4761771&cc=1415551&jsn=1

http://www.thetransmissionauthority.com/

Apparently its not the same place back in MI. I guess they have a warehouse near me.

rv8pilot

Reaction score
Somebody else might have mentioned it, but I would replace the rear main seal on the crank while the tranny is out. Its going to crap out before too long and you will regret not doing it now. Make sure your jackstands are tall enough as when I replaced the main seal I couldn't get the trans out from under due to the deep frame rails.

OP
OP
Merc1973

Merc1973

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup. That's it. U also use the tool to install the seal for a nice flush install. I'm sure people do it without, but I wasn't willing to risk the work and time to fix a bad seal alignment.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Thanks, i bought a new Dorman rear plate that comes with the seal already installed, new bolts and a gasket. With that many bolts, is there that much play with aligning the plate?

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, i bought a new Dorman rear plate that comes with the seal already installed, new bolts and a gasket. With that many bolts, is there that much play with aligning the plate?
The seal will help Center the plate. Without the seal installed there is enough play to be misaligned. I guarantee nothing lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

1_8TTony

Reaction score
Any advice with removing transfercase or anything else?

Advice:

Almost all the electrical sockets/plugs on the transfer case are the same shape........it is really easy to install them in the wrong location. Clearly label the wires and thier designated location.

There is a section of the wire harness that is "extended" using a female-female connector type of electrical plug. This again, uses the same shaped electrical plugs........so keep that section of the wire harness labled correctly. This plug is located above the transmission.......above the shift range indicator........drivers side of trans.

The transfer case will obviuosly have to be removed. Drain the fluid or it could get messy. The drain plug is on the back of the transfer case (not the bottom).........drain plug size is 18mm. Note: The transfer case does NOT share the same fluid as the transmission.

The 15mm bolts attatching the transfer case to the transmission obviously have to be removed. For the top bolt, (what I did) was cut a 15mm wrench down to a couple inches in length. There is not even enough room to loosen the bolt with a "stubby" wrench in there between the case and floor.

Upon re assembly, pay particular attention to the position of the shift range indicator. I'm talking about the part where it slips onto the transmission shifter shaft. The plastic hole in the middle.......it rotates. It looks circular, but actually has two flat surfaces inside of it.......it indexes in relation to the shaft. Also, the electrical plug on the shift range indicator is VERY difficult to unplug.......Whenever I do these trans jobs, I always leave the plug attached and unbolt the shift range indicator from the transmission and tie it up out of the way. If you cannot remove the electrical plug and choose to unbolt.........you will need to use a thin 13mm wrench to get at the bolt behind the electrical plug.........if you look, you will see what I am talking about.

The exhaust bolts.......the ones up in front on the manifild pipe flange.........yeah, you may break one or more. In the unfortunate event when I break a bolt, I drill out the broken section and use a nut, lock washer and a bolt in place of the original stud/bolt set up.. If you break one of those exhaust studs: DO NOT REMOVE THE EXHAUST MANIFOLD FROM THE CYLINDER HEAD in an attempt to fix it !!!!!!! Do whatever it takes to remove the broken stud while the manifold is still attached to the engine. The bolts that attach the manifold onto the cylinder are.........I don't know.......They just break......for absolutely no reason at all they just break.....usually they break closest to the firewall leaving no option other than removing the cylinder head for removal/repair/replacement. The cylinder heads on these engines are SUPER SIMPLE to replace, but it would add a couple hundred dollars to the final price tag (new head gasket, new head bolt set, etc...). Use six point 14mm half inch drive deep socket on a breaker bar to get these stud bolts loose........3/8 drive ratchet wont allow enough leverage.

Do you have torx bit sockets? You will need to remove the shift rod bracket from the side of the transmission. I forget what size, but I think it is a T-35 size.

Make sure the replacement transmission still has the alignment dowels in place, if not........you'll be hating life.

The starter will have to be removed so that you can rotate the torque converter and get at those bolts.

I guess that's all I can think of at the moment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645