Power steering issues... again

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rolfsent

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I just had the power steering pump replaced about a month ago (Professionally done) in my 1997 GMC Yukon 4x4 because at idle I could barely turn the wheel and after that it worked perfect, no problems at all. Now today the power steering seems to be getting noisy and harder to turn at idle and feels a little more firm on the highway. Another thing to mention is when I was changing the oil right after the pump was replaced I noticed a red connector that goes to the pump was unplugged so I plugged it in, I'm not sure what it was maybe speed sensitive steering? But anyway it was all working great until today. Does anyone have an idea of what could be wrong?

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
sound like the steering EVO system is tweaking. can you pull code on it to see if it sees an error in the system. they start with C0****

OP
OP
rolfsent

rolfsent

Full Access Member
Reaction score
donyukon said:
you can always check the fluid levels as well

Did that, fluid is fine. I'll check for codes in the morning. I hope it's not the evo sensor, I did that on my 99 Denali and it was a pita.

foreverfalcon40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did that, fluid is fine. I'll check for codes in the morning. I hope it's not the evo sensor, I did that on my 99 Denali and it was a pita.

EVO sensor is 10-15 minute job or just get rid of the system! GM makes a revised part of a get the line from 96 and be done.

OP
OP
rolfsent

rolfsent

Full Access Member
Reaction score
foreverfalcon40 said:
EVO sensor is 10-15 minute job or just get rid of the system! GM makes a revised part of a get the line from 96 and be done.

I must of been doing it wrong but it took me 3 hours and was almost impossible to get the sensor removed and then plugged in.

landsoul

Reaction score
My power steering periodically stops working while at idle and works fine while driving.

When I back out of the garage and come to a full stop sometimes the power steering just quits and the wheel is almost impossible to turn. Once I start driving forward the power steering returns.

Is that the steering pump that is causing the issue? Fluid level is fine.

eatsleepdrey

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My power steering periodically stops working while at idle and works fine while driving.

When I back out of the garage and come to a full stop sometimes the power steering just quits and the wheel is almost impossible to turn. Once I start driving forward the power steering returns.

Is that the steering pump that is causing the issue? Fluid level is fine.

My 97 Tahoe was having the same issues of the steering doin the same thing. I had replaced the power steering pump less than a year previous.
I took it to a mechanic I knew, and he said the issue was the gear box. He said power steering metal shavings had got into the gear box, and I needed a new gear box and probably another power steering pump. He said the labor would make it nearly a grand.
Needless to say, I never had it done. PRIMARILY because it's no longer my daily driver. Also, the worst part of the problem was that it didn't always happen, and you could never predict when it would. And when it did it was at the worst times, like parallel parking or turning in a direction. But it drove fine 85% of the time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10