Please Help Guess the Part!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
W

warriormagee

Reaction score
So, I disconnected the drive shaft from the rear differential. The U-Joint seemed fine. No noises and it spun freely. The yoke where it connected to the differential could move about a 1/4 inch in any direction. The vibrating/rubbing noise I hear could come from here. Also, the area directly above it is covered in oil and sludge.

oil splatter.jpg rear yoke.jpg

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that is most likely a bad pinion bearing and seal, which means you have to tear the rear end apart to get to it, I was getting the same noise and vibration from mine it turned out to be both u-joint and pinion bearing, ended up having to do it 3 times, then I ended up with a bad wheel bearing seal which had to be done about 3 times and replaced the axle and it still leaked, sold the thing finally and the next guy had to do it again, if yours gets that bad I would replace the whole shebang mine had 320k on it though.

OP
OP
W

warriormagee

Reaction score
that is most likely a bad pinion bearing and seal, which means you have to tear the rear end apart to get to it, I was getting the same noise and vibration from mine it turned out to be both u-joint and pinion bearing, ended up having to do it 3 times, then I ended up with a bad wheel bearing seal which had to be done about 3 times and replaced the axle and it still leaked, sold the thing finally and the next guy had to do it again, if yours gets that bad I would replace the whole shebang mine had 320k on it though.
Sooo...prob just easier to go ahead and replace the whole rear with a junkyard special? I'm a capable, but def not a knowledgeable, mechanic. I can follow directions well. lol.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sooo...prob just easier to go ahead and replace the whole rear with a junkyard special? I'm a capable, but def not a knowledgeable, mechanic. I can follow directions well. lol.
I haven't done a swap myself but it might be easier than tearing all that apart if the price is right

shoplizard

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yep, your rear axle is TOAST. I'm pretty sure you don't want to attempt to repair it. I have done quite a few of them and you will need a lot of special tools and experience would be helpful. Start searching salvage yards for a good used axle assembly.

OP
OP
W

warriormagee

Reaction score
I'm here in Southern California, and according the Pick-A-Part salvage yard website, they seem to have multiple vehicles from the early 2000's and up, that should fit my 2007. Is there anything I'm looking for (or should stay away from) when checking them out?

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm here in Southern California, and according the Pick-A-Part salvage yard website, they seem to have multiple vehicles from the early 2000's and up, that should fit my 2007. Is there anything I'm looking for (or should stay away from) when checking them out?
Well, you now know how the pinion bearing and seal shouldnt look like and what it shouldn’t feel like and make sure there is no gear oil leaking by the brakes on either side. I would get something as close to original as possible so a) it bolts up easier/faster and 2) your gas mileage/acceleration stays the same.Pull the cover at the yard and make sure no metal inside, minimal is ok, no chunks inside. Can prolly reuse gasket just clean everything very good and fill back up with gear oil.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645