Please Help Guess the Part!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, i jyst realizedyou were 2wd, still tho differential in back, between wheels and thats a vent and whats supposed to be in there is pic i posted and it should be secured above diff. Cover on that diff has a square holed plug in it that you fill it through. Usually a 3/8 ratchet fits in, with an extension. Fluid should be up to bottom of that fill plug. Check owners manual for correct fluid type and amt. if its wet on the floorboards in front and above the rear diff the pinion seal is bad.

Supposed to be a vent in like the pic i posted and mounted to floor board above diff somewhere loosely so there is slack
Thanks. Any idea what the hose in this pic is for, and if it should be attached to anything?

View attachment 188658

^^^the rubber vent hose was ripped off or someone drove over something and fixed/extend the hose, filter is just a union between two hoses, it is unnecessary find a longer piece of hose and replace with vent at end, 3/8 fuel should do fine.

Thing is fluid didnt just evaporate into thin air... did you look at tge pinion seal, does it look wet? How about your rims? Seam oily, extra brake dust caked on?

Almost betting its the rearend but grab driveshaft by the rear and shake/twist it back and forth if you feel hear metal on metal... u joint... best bet would be mechanic tho, i think rear is gone. Hard to really tell you exactly over the internet but, thats my thoughts

Personally, I would go to a junkyard and buy an entire rearend. Setting up gears in a rear is best left to people who know what they are doing. Prob be cheaper from a junkyard too than rebuilding it.... far be it from me to stop you though

(FYI Rear differential on 2WD Yukon XL)
New Info!!! I tried to check the U-Joint. There was movement, but no rattling. I took video, but can't get it to upload yet. While doing this, new drop of fluid rolled down from behind the collar that attaches to the U-Joint. That whole area is covered in fluid, so much so that just grabbing it coated my hand. I didn't take the U-Joint loose yet, waiting on feedback from this discovery.

View attachment 188722 View attachment 188723 View attachment 188724

^^^^Pinion seal i was talking about

There is a lot of movement coming from the yoke (collar where the oil is coming from). I can't get the video from my phone to upload.

^^^again, sure sign of pinion seal and bearing

So, I disconnected the drive shaft from the rear differential. The U-Joint seemed fine. No noises and it spun freely. The yoke where it connected to the differential could move about a 1/4 inch in any direction. The vibrating/rubbing noise I hear could come from here. Also, the area directly above it is covered in oil and sludge.

View attachment 188730 View attachment 188731
^^^denotes leaking for a long time

Told ya to go get a junkyard rear....smh
^^^^^:)

OP
OP
W

warriormagee

Reaction score
Did you get this fixed yet?
Not yet. It has to wait until the first of the month. Sourcing the used rear at a junkyard shouldn't be very hard, but I'll probably hire someone with more experience to help me switch them out. I wouldn't want something I didn't do correctly to cause an accident while I'm hauling my 6 kids down the highway.

Nashoba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All this conversation about something that used to be so simple reminds me, again, of the "good old days" when I grew up. Graduated from high school at 18 and entered college that fall. Have owned more than 150 vehicles during my lifetime thus far. Along the way, I bought a used 1972 K5 Blazer with 9,000 miles on the clock. It had the 250 cid straight six in it and 4WD, lock-out hubs, auto tranny, radio and heater. You could put it in low range 4WD and get out and walk beside it as it moved forward on its own. Took the top off all the time. Had the exhaust manifold split and installed black side pipes with almost no baffling. Sounded like an airplane under full throttle. Back then we wore leisure suits, something you young folks probably never heard of. They were polyester, mostly. Ruined a couple of sets of slacks when I forgot to watch for the hot pipes when getting out of the truck. Melted those suckers in an instant and once got a burn just like when you laid down your bike and the hot muffler burned you before you could get away from it. But those old K5s were so simple to work on. Differentials were just vented via a tiny hole on top or sometimes a fitting with a hose on it coming out the top. High performance and high tech? Not so much. Indestructible under normal operation? Yep.

Steve A

Reaction score
All this conversation about something that used to be so simple reminds me, again, of the "good old days" when I grew up. Graduated from high school at 18 and entered college that fall. Have owned more than 150 vehicles during my lifetime thus far. Along the way, I bought a used 1972 K5 Blazer with 9,000 miles on the clock. It had the 250 cid straight six in it and 4WD, lock-out hubs, auto tranny, radio and heater. You could put it in low range 4WD and get out and walk beside it as it moved forward on its own. Took the top off all the time. Had the exhaust manifold split and installed black side pipes with almost no baffling. Sounded like an airplane under full throttle. Back then we wore leisure suits, something you young folks probably never heard of. They were polyester, mostly. Ruined a couple of sets of slacks when I forgot to watch for the hot pipes when getting out of the truck. Melted those suckers in an instant and once got a burn just like when you laid down your bike and the hot muffler burned you before you could get away from it. But those old K5s were so simple to work on. Differentials were just vented via a tiny hole on top or sometimes a fitting with a hose on it coming out the top. High performance and high tech? Not so much. Indestructible under normal operation? Yep.

Yep, and gas was 19.9 cents a gallon. Could fill up on $5, burned a bunch of it at that price.

Nashoba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I remember one gas war in Ardmore, OK, where I grew up. Back in 1963 gas got down to $.169. Dad remembered it being ten cents a gallon back before WWII. Only thing cheaper back then was DRIP they collected from a hole in a sort of swale of an above ground gas line from a well. The DRIP condensed and formed a liquid that dripped onto the ground so they would set buckets under the low place and collect the fuel and then pour it into their gas tanks to mix with real gas. They ran it in their cars, trucks and tractors. Sometimes if there was not a hole, they would help one form, if you know what I mean.

damn it not again

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2007 GMC Yukon XL 2WD 5.3L

I was trying to run down a vibration/rubbing sound I thought was coming from the rear differential. The outside of the transfer case is dry. Hanging down beside the transfer case was what looks like some sort of inline filter, connected on one side to a rubber hose. I assume the other side is supposed to be connected to another rubber hose. Looking for the other hose, I noticed what looked like a squarish box bolted to the bed, just in front of and above the rear transfer case. This whole area is covered in some type of fluid that I assume is because the filter looking piece isn't correctly attached any more. Couldn't detect an identifying smell.

** What is the inline filter looking thing?

** What kind of fluid might it be?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne